The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a planted 15 gallon tank with a betta. I tried keeping some ghost shrimp with him, and he decided that was the best meal he'd ever had.

Ultimately I will be setting up a planted 30 gallon with endlers and Neo shrimp, but that will be a slow project.

The issue is, that in 10 days I have the opportunity to go further afield to a shrimp-specific LFS with some good stock. I would love to be able to come home with some of one kind, and have a small shrimp tank while I work towards the larger tank.

Options:
- put a bunch of shrimp hides in the 15 gallon, and hope that the skittishness and speed of the neos helps enough. The ghost shrimp weren't scared of the betta, they would hang out together until it got to fasting day, and he realized they tasted good.

- set up a smaller tank for the shrimp (or for the betta) and try to get it properly colonized with bacteria quickly from the established tank

- find a better way to separate the betta and the shrimp in the 15 gallon - I have a 3d printer and food safe PLA, so I could even make a divider that keeps the betta out of the bottom 3rd of the tank.

I have:
two unused 4-gallon tanks
air pumps, sponge filters, airstones
plants I can take (& split) from the established tank
substrate I can take from the established tank
filter medium I can take from the established tank
water I can take from the established tank
betta I could move from the established tank
the ability to go to a LFS if there's any snails or anything else that would help. I was thinking of putting some nerite snails in the betta tank anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
get those extra sponge filters in the tank now and you should be fine. Depending on how long it'll take to get the other tank set up you can just leave the shrimp tank bare with maybe some plants tied to cholla or lava stones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get those extra sponge filters in the tank now and you should be fine. Depending on how long it'll take to get the other tank set up you can just leave the shrimp tank bare with maybe some plants tied to cholla or lava stones.
Thank you! That makes sense. I'm almost new to this (haven't kept fish for decades), so it hadn't occurred to me to add the new filters to the existing tank for now. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ideally, they should go into a tank that's been set up and running for a while.

Whatever type of shrimp you decide to keep, you should also make sure that your parameters, including pH, GH and KH are good for the type of shrimp you are getting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ideally, they should go into a tank that's been set up and running for a while.

Whatever type of shrimp you decide to keep, you should also make sure that your parameters, including pH, GH and KH are good for the type of shrimp you are getting.
Thanks. I have very hard water, which is why I was thinking Neos. In the established tank, pH is 7.2, GH is 8, KH is 4.

If I need to run the new tank longer (with an appropriately colonized filter), what else should I put in there in the meantime to keep the bacteria thriving? It will have substrate and plants from the existing tank already. I could move the betta over (but I'd rather not), or put snail(s) or something else in there?

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Thanks. I have very hard water, which is why I was thinking Neos. In the established tank, pH is 7.2, GH is 8, KH is 4.

If I need to run the new tank longer (with an appropriately colonized filter), what else should I put in there in the meantime to keep the bacteria thriving? It will have substrate and plants from the existing tank already. I could move the betta over (but I'd rather not), or put snail(s) or something else in there?
To make sure your tank can handle shrimp, you should dose ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Once your tank can process 2-3PPM of ammonia in under 24 hours, you'll be good to go. But if you want an ideal tank, you should probably dose ammonia for 60-90 days to give your tank plenty of time to mature. Nothing good happens fast with shrimp.

Note that old tank water is not helpful. But active filter media will certainly help a ton.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Considering I live somewhere where the water is around 19 GH... I don't consider 8 to be very hard! :LOL:

What you have though is good for Neos... as long as there are no issues with the water itself. RO water and minerals if you ever have any issues.

Agree with using ammonia. Not sure what you have available to you, but you want something like Dr Timm's One and Only Ammonium or Ace Hardware Ammonia. Many grocery store ammonia products contain an ingredient in them that are not safe for tanks.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Another option would be to try and do a quick cycle on a newly set up tank for the betta, then move him and put the shrimp in the established tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering I live somewhere where the water is around 19 GH... I don't consider 8 to be very hard! :LOL:

What you have though is good for Neos... as long as there are no issues with the water itself. RO water and minerals if you ever have any issues.

Agree with using ammonia. Not sure what you have available to you, but you want something like Dr Timm's One and Only Ammonium or Ace Hardware Ammonia. Many grocery store ammonia products contain an ingredient in them that are not safe for tanks.
I don't think it's possible to buy ammonia without additives here (Canada). All we have are grocery store cleaners.

I'm not too worried about the cycling now - I have the new filter currently running in the established tank, and have seachem stability I can add. I think more of an issue is making sure there's enough biofilm for the shrimp - which is where I am hoping that if I also take plants and decor from the established tank, and only get 1/2 dozen shrimp to start, they should hopefully be good. I've also got driftwood and plants (and a couple of nerites now) in the new tank already.

As an aside: do you have a softener for some of your water supply? We don't, and our water clogs dishwashers, shower heads, etc so quickly. We run the dishwasher with a full cup of vinegar each cycle. I can't imagine what yours would be like!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
@dalh Ace Hardware DOES exist in Canada.... now, whether or not there's one near you is another matter entirely.

Dr Timm's can probably be purchased online as well.

The ammonia is a FOOD source for the bacteria... and can be used to keep the bacteria fed until inhabitants are added... it's not just for cycling.

It is recommended to start with a minimum of 10 shrimp though for any tank...

As for a water softener? Nope. Don't have one. Surprisingly, things don't get clogged... but the water does sometime turn brown or yellow... last time it turned yellow, several people were complaining about the color throughout the neighborhood.

There's a water machine nearby where soft, clean water can be purchased. (carbon filtration, RO and UV sterilization) This is used for drinking water and cooking. It's not to my liking for the tanks though.... at least, last time I checked. I have to go further afield to get water that I consider fine to use for the tanks. (lower TDS values)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts