The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to breed Albino Bushy Nose Plecos but didnt know if its better to have slightly acidic water of if its ok to have slightly hard water. no higher than 8.5

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops i meant dwarf Albino bristlenose plecos

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have bred BN plecos in 6 - 7ph water. Others I know have breed them in harder water. I think they're pretty adaptable.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
C2C just wanted to say there is not two types of albino BN plecos. Some add dwarf to the name but they are all "dwarf" varieties when compared to a lot of other plecos. All BN's range between 3.5-5" when full grown. I have been raising BN's in ph 7.6-7.8 with no problems. They are adaptable to a wide range of ph.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so it sounds like as long as i give them time to adapt to the high ph they will breed?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't use the word "will breed"- IMO it's a long shot.

I would phrase it - it's a possibility.

However, you'll increase your chances of encouraging them to breed and increase the hatch and survival rate of the fry if you give them water conditions closer to that they're evolved to.

Do you know the hardness of your water?

·
Registered
60 Posts
GH I believe.

Also, BNP's are supposed to be a blackwater species, get the ph from 4-5.5 and you WILL induce breeding, also at WC time instead of temp matching the water, run the new water a little cooler and go back and forth across the top of the water, it replicates a cool rain shower and I can only attest to this as ever week after WC's like this my angels always lay eggs. If they dont something is wrong.

I have a BNP in a blackwater tank, I do not have a mate but between it and the rubbernose one of them lays eggs. This method has induced and produced alot of babies for me in other forms of fish including corydoras, give it a try, nothing to lose really.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Forget the pH they "evolved" in, the common BN pleco can't even be traced to a definite source in the wild. I breed the buggers in hard, alkaline water and use coral in all my tanks to maintain a stable pH. I feed them twice daily with NLS pellets, and zucchini once weekly. After spawning, raising, and shipping out several hundred juvies I can guarantee you that soft, acidic water isn't necessary.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Agree with Todd completely. And most BN species definitely don't require blackwater conditions. Ancistrus species like the starlight/white seam BN (L183) do however.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Forget the pH they "evolved" in, the common BN pleco can't even be traced to a definite source in the wild. I breed the buggers in hard, alkaline water and use coral in all my tanks to maintain a stable pH. I feed them twice daily with NLS pellets, and zucchini once weekly. After spawning, raising, and shipping out several hundred juvies I can guarantee you that soft, acidic water isn't necessary.
Agree with Todd completely. And most BN species definitely don't require blackwater conditions. Ancistrus species like the starlight/white seam BN (L183) do however.
I agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts