The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm working on getting some too. The one I just got made it for 9 hours in a box with a bubbler and a few days in the tank before croaking. The only thing I could think of was overcrowding. I was putting fish in my other tank until my new one is ready. What I have heard is that they are pretty fragile. So an established tank is a good idea. It seems like yours would be fine with all the other fish. Not sure how they interact with the angels bc. those are a type of cichlid as well, but I do believe they are both community fish. So I would say give it a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I added 5 blue rams to a 54 gallon with more fish than you have. After three weeks I found eggs today (!) so it's definitely doable. What people would typically suggest is to have enough structure to break up their lines of sight, especially if you have two pairs or, even worse, three or four males. I'd try to set up stations on either side of your aquarium so each pair has a base distant from the other. My pair is definitely not appreciative of visitors right now, so doing that might prevent you from having to monitor the situation as closely as I'm having to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could i do 6 if i have 2 males and 4 females and enough breaking of sights

or 2 males 2 females the pet store i am buying them at has a rwally good guy thast is sexing them for me tommorow when i pick them up tommorow

should i do the drip acclimation or normal acclimation

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no there not comfired pair bonds so i think i ll do 6 and do 2 males and 4 feamles or 2 males and 3 females

the guy that is sexing them is very good at it

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Rams will need soft acidic water with pH value of 6.5 to 6.8 and temperature no less than 82degrees F. While the Neons and corys would much prefer cooler temps.
Many folks try to keep the rams in cooler water with higher pH values and are seldom successful in the long term. I have kept them for the last three years (lifespan is around three years), And found that that they will spawn in nearly any water but eggs seldom hatch if water conditions are much different than that mentioned above. They also expire more quickly in water not to their liking.
Don't take my word for it but I have much more success with them in soft acidic water and temps no lower than 82 degrees. This temperature limits tankmates and perhaps some plants that don't appreciate these conditions.IMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.