The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am 21 days into a new planted tank intended for cherry shrimps in the future. So far, everything seems fine, some of the plants are growing new leaves. However, as of the past few days, I am starting to see green algae growing on rocks and the surface of the glass, they aren't obvious if I don't closely inspect them. Also, there are these very fine, white/transparent looking string/hair algae in the tank as well, they are mainly on the java moss, a few others could be found on some plants and on the front surface of the glass as well.

Some details, my tank is a 5.5G low tech tank, for the first 2+ weeks, I was running my light at full intensity for 8 hours daily. After I discovered the algae, I reduced the intensity of the light by 50-60%, and change the lighting hours to 5 hours. I have not used any ammonia or fish food method, I followed the plant heavily using soil method.

I was wondering if I can add some snails (maybe 1 or 2) at this stage to help with the algae as well as having some livestock to view in the tank :sneaky:

Picture of the tank currently.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yes, you can absolutely add a couple snails. As long as you've been cycling your tank properly and doing your water changes they should have no problems surviving (if this is what you're concerned about you can lower your water line slightly to give them enough room to get out for a little while if needed).

There is a very slight chance it might throw your balance off a tiny little bit, nothing a water change can't fix. I'd say throw a single nerite snail on there to start and see how it goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great looking tank—beautiful!

I don't think you have anything to worry about with snails. Of all the fish deaths I've seen from new poorly cycled tanks, snails regularly survive over fish, especially nerites (as opposed to mystery). As Plinkploop implied above, the snail can and will go out of the water if the quality is bad, so you can keep an eye on their behavior to tell you if the tank is ready for shrimp.

As far as reducing algae with snails/low light/water treatments, keep in mind that a healthy amount of algae buildup is great for shrimp. You probably won't like this and it also drives me crazy as someone who likes an immaculately clean tank, but the most successful shrimp colonies I have seen are always those with plenty of algae and moss growing everywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great looking tank—beautiful!

I don't think you have anything to worry about with snails. Of all the fish deaths I've seen from new poorly cycled tanks, snails regularly survive over fish, especially nerites (as opposed to mystery). As Plinkploop implied above, the snail can and will go out of the water if the quality is bad, so you can keep an eye on their behavior to tell you if the tank is ready for shrimp.

As far as reducing algae with snails/low light/water treatments, keep in mind that a healthy amount of algae buildup is great for shrimp. You probably won't like this and it also drives me crazy as someone who likes an immaculately clean tank, but the most successful shrimp colonies I have seen are always those with plenty of algae and moss growing everywhere.
Thanks! I have since went ahead with 2 Nerite snails. It's been a day and so far they seem fine, do they tend to hide a lot in dark spots?

Also regarding algae, there seem to be this hair / string like algae that has been building up in the tank. Do you know what are these? I'm afraid of it being harmful to the plants.

Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Grass Insect
Twig Spider web Grass Wood Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Considering you have algae they are probably in a dark area doing their job getting rid of it. Mine will go missing for a day or 2 and next thing I know I have a completely clean rock. Lol if you can find one and you have an area you want cleaned off put the nerite on it. If it's normal thread algae and diatoms it will stay there cleaning.

The algae I see doesn't look like anything to be concerned with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks! I have since went ahead with 2 Nerite snails. It's been a day and so far they seem fine, do they tend to hide a lot in dark spots?

Also regarding algae, there seem to be this hair / string like algae that has been building up in the tank. Do you know what are these? I'm afraid of it being harmful to the plants.

View attachment 1030935 View attachment 1030936
Sometimes when I put snails in they hide in dark places for a day or so while they are getting used to the surroundings. After they are more comfortable, though, the tank lights don't bother them as much.

Agree with the last poster—I wouldn't worry about the algae in those pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.