The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the Python DIY, I discovered that your typical garden hose can cause cancer in humans. Will it give fish cancer? If filling your fish tank with a garden hose, will sticking your arm in to do cleaning and maintenance give you cancer?

I bought this coil type hose that's supposed to stretch to like 50 feet, but it doesn't have a cancer warning on it. Should I just return it? I originally bought it to clean my sand and tanks. I can't wash my car with it because I don't want her to get cancer.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I was really tempted to just answer "yes" to this question, and move on.

I don't think a few exposures to a garden hose is going to cause cancer. Unless that garden hose is composed primarily of Uranium-238.

You worry far too much. Everything is a carcinogen these days.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Although I believe cars are much much more susceptible to cancer than fish are. Just don't wash your car ever. I heard that soap might be a carcinogen too! ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, maybe i do worry too much. but money is strap. got $700 in books i need to buy. just dont want $200 in fish to get cancer that's all :)

it's those people who said to get an rv hose that made me worry. didn't see anyone promoting garden hoses

Although I believe cars are much much more susceptible to cancer than fish are. Just don't wash your car ever. I heard that soap might be a carcinogen too! ;)
haven't washed my car in months :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I was really tempted to just answer "yes" to this question, and move on.

You worry far too much. Everything is a carcinogen these days.

this was worth a chuckle..

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I've tried to figure out is the items I buy that have a label that states:

"Caution-This product contains substances known to cause cancer in the State of California"

I'm not joking, I have seen these labels. Does that mean it only causes cancer in California? Or if that the only place it's known? :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
What I've tried to figure out is the items I buy that have a label that states:

"Caution-This product contains substances known to cause cancer in the State of California"

I'm not joking, I have seen these labels. Does that mean it only causes cancer in California? Or if that the only place it's known? :confused:
lol. Once you drive it past state lines, it's completely harmless. =P

No, it's because California has stricter rules regarding disclaimers and so yea. We have the warning at all the gas pumps, for a lot of car stuff (brake fluid, maybe. Transmission fluid, etc..)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here in MI, a lot of people, including myself, think that everything "is known to cause cancer in the State of California." :hihi:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As the precision of the tests increase, eventually everything will cause cancer. They found common things caused cancer once they could measure parts per thousand, then more things at parts per million, pretty soon when we can measure part per trillion or quadrillian or septillian and octillian or whatever, they will find carcinogens in everything.

Most folks really worry about certain things, but its more like the tv show Monk, there is bad stuff litteraly everywhere! Something I just learned... people get super concerned about radiation from nuclear power plants (I grew up within sight of one) but what few people know is that a coal power plant puts out more radiation and nuclear particles into the environment in one year than several nukes will in thier whole lifetime, to the point were you could fuel several nuclear plants from nuclear waste from coal plants if there existed better methods to extract them. Quoted from useless facts and information stored in my brain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
LOL. Are you guys saying California is a cancer causing agent? :p
No, not California! Just everything in California.

As the precision of the tests increase, eventually everything will cause cancer. They found common things caused cancer once they could measure parts per thousand, then more things at parts per million, pretty soon when we can measure part per trillion or quadrillian or septillian and octillian or whatever, they will find carcinogens in everything.

Most folks really worry about certain things, but its more like the tv show Monk, there is bad stuff litteraly everywhere! Something I just learned... people get super concerned about radiation from nuclear power plants (I grew up within sight of one) but what few people know is that a coal power plant puts out more radiation and nuclear particles into the environment in one year than several nukes will in thier whole lifetime, to the point were you could fuel several nuclear plants from nuclear waste from coal plants if there existed better methods to extract them. Quoted from useless facts and information stored in my brain.
Seriously though, I don't think I'm ever going outside again. Guess I should quite smoking too.:icon_sad:

·
Registered
705 Posts
plastic in the bubble causes cancer:flick: its true though what doesent cause Cancer these day's ? i wouldnt be too worried about it harming your fish but alot of garden hoses can get moldy due to constsant watering and water left in the tubes over time. Try to get all the water out between cleanings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is There No Place Safe!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts