The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have fluorite substrate that i just clean out this week. i have very small success growing plants and I'm sure there was lot of wrong doing. i wonder if i can use fluorite as a base layer as I'm scaring and add eco completed on top of to completed the scape. thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
If you are going to layer two substrates, over time, they will inevitably mix.

Either Flourite or Eco Complete can be used to successfully grow plants; if you were having trouble before, simply switching substrates will not really help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a mixture of 4 types, Seachem Flourite black, Carib eco-complete and flora-max, and WWW Active Flora black. Mixed and in sections so that finer active flora was up front for carpet type plants (did not work out that way) and the larger ones in the back and underneath. The smaller pieces do seem to settle down but in a year it is hardly noticeably and whenever I pull up a plant, the larger chunks resurface.

Are the two colors the same? Is it flourite sand or regular flourite?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump:
If you are going to layer two substrates, over time, they will inevitably mix.

Either Flourite or Eco Complete can be used to successfully grow plants; if you were having trouble before, simply switching substrates will not really help.
I want to do some landscaping but I don't have enough to make dep so that why I want to use fluorite on the bottom and eco complete on the top since black in color i would look nicer.

Bump:
I have a mixture of 4 types, Seachem Flourite black, Carib eco-complete and flora-max, and WWW Active Flora black. Mixed and in sections so that finer active flora was up front for carpet type plants (did not work out that way) and the larger ones in the back and underneath. The smaller pieces do seem to settle down but in a year it is hardly noticeably and whenever I pull up a plant, the larger chunks resurface.

Are the two colors the same? Is it flourite sand or regular flourite?
its a regular fluorite and no they not the same color. I want to do some landscaping but I don't have enough to make dep so that why I want to use fluorite on the bottom and eco complete on the top since black in color i would look nicer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.