The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never buy moss at the local pet stores. Except last night. This was just an spectular moss - .99 for a softball size! However, when I got it home, there is blanket weed, aka cladophora algae throughout it. I wonder why the price was to good to be true... :icon_conf

Anyway, is there a way to eradicate the algae? I am trying to pick it out, but this is going painfully slow and it just keeps breaking off. This was going in a low tech, sunlit tank for breeding only. No co2 or ferts, just go old fashion fish waste and food.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If your tank is currently algae-free, Id trash the entire 99 cent algae ball. 99 cents is NOT a bargain if its going to cause months of headaches.

If your goal is to kill the clado in the ball, I suspect that any methods of killing clado (excel, h202, darkness, etc) will kill moss as well.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol! It is an algae free tank thus far, since it is empty. What about emmersed growth? Could this fix the issue? I am too stubborn to give up just yet. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I don't know if this will be useful or not, but.... My 29 gallon had an infestation of clado. When I tore down the tank, I bleached the plants, including a piece of driftwood that had an Anubias and Christmas moss growing on it. The bleach worked - no more clado in that tank. I thought for sure that the moss was a goner, but it came back and is fine now. I guess, though, it was embedded in the wood, and that part survived the bleaching, maybe?

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool idea. I'll try that as a last resort. At least if it kills the moss too, the clado won't get in the waterways.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Clado will grow emersed if the humidity is high enough. I had some in my 10 gallon that I had emersed for a few months. It is much easier to pick out when it isn't below water, but it will still come back once you fill the tank. I'd probably toss it if you don't already have clado.

·
Banned
135 Posts
I Struggled fot months to get rid of Cladophora algae, nothing seemed to work, until I got some Amano shrimp, (Caridina japonica/multidentata) all algae was gone within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes Amano shrimp will take care of the Cladophora, but must be in numbers corresponding to the algae infestation.

Some time ago we had about 200 Amanos in a 25 gallon tank. The Cladophora had taken over the tank. It completely suffocated the moss. By the time the Amanos were put in the tank the Clado had grown to be a mat about 2 inches thick! Covering the entire bottom.

200 Amanos made it completely disappear in about 5 days. Only the water turned green from the Clado juices I guess. In a few days the green coloration started to disappear.

So the lesson from that is - Amanos will take care of Cladophora but they must be in corresponding numbers. 200 Amanos in a 25 gallon tank are certainly an overkill. Generally speaking - 10 amanos will not do any harm to any established, visible algae. But the same 10 amanos will certainly keep algae from showing up by eating them before you even see them.

You have moss so if you decide to add large numbers of Amanos in the tank you must take out the shrimp as the Clado diminishes. If you don't after they're done with the Clado they will turn to eating your moss.

One thing about Amanos (and other shrimp of course) is that they hide really well. For example 100 Amanos in a 55 gallon tank will not look like an ugly infestation. If you didn't know you had 100 in there you will think you have 10-20 at most. That's a good thing because I personally hate the overcrowded crazy look of too many animals in a tank, even if they do well in it.

--Nikolay

·
Banned
135 Posts
10 Amano's took care of the algae my 15G tank, in about 2 weeks. But I did remove all removable algae by hand and left the difficult spots for the shrimp, with success.
I didn't need large numbers, and 2 weeks was quick enough for me ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
try making a peroxide solution and dipping the moss in it for a few minutes. H2o2 will kill it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had this stuff for months. It started out on my xmas moss so I got rid of the moss in hopes that it would eliminate my problems. Now it's on the fissidens I replaced the xmas moss with and it's starting to get BIG. I've tried all the gimic tricks like hydrogen peroxide, excel, etc. Nothing works on this stuff like some people claim. I'm not saying that they're wrong, it's just that it didn't work for me. I haven't tried the amanos though (Costly little guys). Perhaps it would be worth your time to buy a few of these critters and turn them loose. Hydrogen peroxide may not be a good choice because it could potentially harm the moss that you're trying to save and use. My infestation seems to be centered around the piece of driftwood that I'm using for my moss. I'm betting that the algae has a nice hold on that wood and isn't going to give up. The best way to combat this stuff may be to just let it be eaten before it's a visible problem...

Good luck. I'm going to watch this thread to see if any more good tips come up.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
just for fun, I put clado in a 1/2 gallon of water and 20ml of H2O2 overnight. it's still nice and green. I'm going to dump in 100+ml and see it if anything will kill this thing.

I don't think H2O2 will do anything.

·
Registered
879 Posts
just for fun, I put clado in a 1/2 gallon of water and 20ml of H2O2 overnight. it's still nice and green. I'm going to dump in 100+ml and see it if anything will kill this thing.

I don't think H2O2 will do anything.
Wow. I dosed my tank with 15ml per gallon of H2o2 and it all melted within an hour or two. Although I'm sure what I had was Spirogyra. This will also kill BBA.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also know that 23ml per gal WILL kill 99% of plants and all algae types in that time frame so are you sure you were dosing H2O2? Maybe you got the bottles mixed up and dosed water, ferts or some other mystery liquid? Maybe someone purchased, used the H2O2, refilled the bottle with water and returned it to the store which you unfortunately bought :)

·
Banned
135 Posts
H2O2 did nothing for me, even after applying it directly on the algae.
Applying Excel / EasyCarbo directly on the algae burned the stuff, but sadly did the same thing with the moss, as could be expected.
Protalon 707 difd nothing just like some other anti-algae formulas,are Amano's are a plant/fish save sollution, sadly (over time) I've lost the shrimp and gained back the algae.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts