The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some assassin snails .. to take care of my pest snails problem ... However, I think the assassin snails r too big ... can they really eat the snails (that look like tiny pond snails). I only saw them going after the mts .. but what about the other types ??? so they eat as in ALL Snails that are not assassin ???

Pliz advise

Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
2 assassin snails almost completely cleaned out the trumpet snails and pond snails in my 20 gallon - I still see the odd mts because I add them occasionally for the assassins to hunt, but have not seen a sign of pond snail in a very long time.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Yes they eat all snails, I have to hunt down humans and Petsmart that have snails to make my Sins are still fed. I think they prefer to eat something similar size to themselve first before picking off any other ones.

Try to get some their size, hope they mate and then they'll be babies to eat the smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Is there a way to keep assassins and nerites in the same tank without the nerites becoming lunch?

I haven't seen an assassin snail IRL so I am not sure what the size is like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, assassin snails do really eat other snails. They eat about one or two snails a day. I have kept assassins in with other snails including nerites and until the other day I had never seen an assassin snail go after a nerite, but I saw it happening so I moved the assassin snail into another tank.

They only eat meat.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
My Assassins didn't eat Zebras, but did kill every single one of them. :(

I believe they poison their prey, and then eat them.

And I haven't run across a snail yet that they won't eat and/or kill- including pond, ramshorn, MTS, and nerites.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Surprisingly, I saw two of my pond snails fighting last night. The larger one tried to completely engulf the smaller one while the smaller one swam around in circles on the glass. I would have sworn one was an assassin snail, but I don't have any assassins in my tank. In the end, the larger snail was unsuccessful in his attack - not sure why they fought in the first place - maybe the algae on the glass was too yummy to let someone else have it... :icon_lol:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my pest snails are so small .. pond snails .. and the assassins r big ... I am wondering if they can really get rid of the snails for me ...
Cross my fingers ...
and wait ....
I still see pest snails .. everywhere .......

·
Registered
166 Posts
my pest snails are so small .. pond snails .. and the assassins r big ... I am wondering if they can really get rid of the snails for me ...
Cross my fingers ...
and wait ....
I still see pest snails .. everywhere .......
It takes awhile. Cut back on your feeding and that should help control the snail population. Don't forget, most snails don't eat plants, just dead or dying material off the plants, so while they might be unsightly they aren't doing damage.

Assassin snails only eat about one snail a day, or every other day. It took mine months to get my pest snail population under control and there are still some in there but I'm not worried about it anymore. And that was with two assassins in a 3 gallon tank.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Surprisingly, I saw two of my pond snails fighting last night. The larger one tried to completely engulf the smaller one while the smaller one swam around in circles on the glass. I would have sworn one was an assassin snail, but I don't have any assassins in my tank. In the end, the larger snail was unsuccessful in his attack - not sure why they fought in the first place - maybe the algae on the glass was too yummy to let someone else have it... :icon_lol:
Sure it was super-sexy-snail time and they were breeding and the other one was leaving the eggs on the glass?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a crazy snail problem in my 36 gal and I bought 1 assassin and the little dude has taken care of almost all of them and the plant devastation I was experiencing is over. I used some of the dwarf sag from that tank for my ebi and I have a ton of baby snails in there now. I bought another assassin for the ebi but I haven't seen it eat any of those tiny snails yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.