The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I was hoping to be able to draw on the expertise here to identify some plants I picked up from the LFS. There are three different types of plant one of which I am pretty sure is Bacopa Caroliniana? The sword type plant and the bushy green plant is doing fine after a week. I lost all the bacopa after a week all the leaves fell off and the stems floated to the top all brown and gunky. I have since set up diy co2 and thought I would give them another try. This time I bought 3 bunches and seperated them into 3 stem groups and removed the bottom inch of leaves before weighting and planting. Tank is 15 gallons, ph was 7.4 but is now 6.6 with co2. Kh is 5 gh is 10. Temperature is 25c. Substrate is sand. Lighting is 2 x 15 watt Interpet bulbs (one bright day white one cool blue moon) running simultaneously. Lighting is on for 12 hours a day and I run airstone overnight. I dose weekly with Interpet Flora Boost. If anyone can give me any pointers that would be great thank you :)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Cut the light to 9.5 hrs. Not familiar/w that brand bulbs...do they have a K rating ?
The blue one is not good for plants unless 460nm. Most blue are 420nm.
http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=bacopacaroliniana
You may not have enough light for this plant but experience is better at letting youknow this so I'll le someone who has them tell you if they can be grown in your light.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The 9.5 is what I have been able to "get away with" without having algae issues.
The algae usually takes months to develope unless very intense bulbsare being used
but then appears to get out of hand overnight and they say "I've been having these lights on for this amont of time for months and it didn't do this before."
But it took that long to develope. Unless the bulbs are noticeably poor in the amount of light they deliver. Two of the first one that you mentioned likely would cause algae if on for that long of time each day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.