The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this shrimp from a local fish store and it was only labeled as *blue shrimp.

he died a couple weeks ago along with all my other shrimp because my co2 was too much. anyways, i went to the lfs and the owner was kind enough to give me 5 juveniles that are slightly tinted blue for free. they look like blue pearl shrimp but not sure. im trying to identify the shrimp in the picture because im trying to figure out if my juveniles will grow up to be like him. he was dark blue with a brown stripe from the tip of head going down to the tip of the tail. maybe malaysian blue? wat do you guys think? ill post pictures of juveniles sometime later on.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Looks like the blueberry shrimp I bought a couple months back. They're more brown than blue these days, though!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
juveniles that need to be identified

ok so i finally got some pictures of the baby shrimps i got from the store. anyone know if these are the same kind as the picture of the adult i put up or a different species? can you tell if they will breed with rcs or crs and if that would be desirable or not? thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The first one for sure looks like female blue-morph neocaridina shrimp. A very nice one too. The juveniles I'm not certain but if they're from the same store I'd think they're the same species and should color up more as they grow.

If they are neocaridinas they will be able to interbreed with any other "cherry" shrimp breeds - red, yellow, etc, making fertile but undesirable and probably dull crosses, but not with the crystal reds or other shrimp like that.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I respectfully disagree about the ID of neo.

I see the white pattern on the back (not a stripe) and I don't see that in neos.

On the other hand, I have seen that pattern in Caridina. Caridina pareparensis parvidentata for example.

Regardless, until a positive ID, a move to a different tank may be a good idea to avoid cross breeding.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. She did have one creme colored stripe or pattern on her back like a single racing stripe on a race car. I did get them from the same store but that specific lfs always mislabels everything so I guess my best bet is to keep them separated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.