The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to float out of subject matter but I really need to know where i can get the meaning of this figured out.

thanks if you can help *******EDIT, SEE MY MOST RECENT POST FOR SOME ROUGH INFO, JUST NEEDS MORE CLARIFICATION****** (9 JAN 07)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Fishing for worms

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone want to point me in to the right source to find out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its chinese.

The first character means conflict, or to fight for something.
Second character is usually used with other characters as a verb. Means to know.
Third character means 'meaning'.

I studied chinese for almost 10 years, and I have yet to see these words put together in such a combination. Look wierd.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Somehow I get the feeling this is going to turn out like explaining what it means to 'cover all the bases' or 'swing for the fence'. A tatoo is a great place for slang or a Chinese idiom. Otherwise translating it would be 'as easy as pie', you know, a 'piece of cake'.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
In Japanese it comes out as "fighting intellectual mind".

Badren, is there any reason you thought this was Japanese and not Chinese?

I gave it to the wwwjdic translator, it came out as "breaking"

I wonder if it's his girlfriend's name?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only things I could find on my own were out of a book my dad happened to have called "learn to read Japanese". From there it looks like the first character meant struggle or fight? the next should be knowledge or to know? and the last a symbol which is supposed to represent the "mind" or literally "the sound of the heart" (weird but thats what it says) so together thats struggle/fight --- for? Knowledge/to know --- the mind/"sound of the heart", so that could be "struggle to know the sound of the heart" or "fight for knowledge of the mind" or any number of things?, sorry just trying to make sense of it, it was on friend who passed recently, but I wasn't around when he got this done.

Oh yeah, thanks for the help with this.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It's really dicey (from what I understand) going to a tattoo shop and picking out oriental characters that you would think would say, just a for instance "The dragon fights with honor" or some such. Just taking the symbols for dragon, and fight, and honor and stringing them together doesn't work. It's kind of like taking some English text and using Babelfish to translate it to French, then using Babelfish to translate your result back into English. Usually your result isn't anything like what you started out with! Always best to find a bi-lingual native speaker if at all possible.

You might actually do better if you can find a tat forum and post it there. Somebody might be recognize it from a design book and be able to give you what the intent of the tat was even if it's incorrect usage.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Dumb charade "struggling to know my heart"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whats that supposed to mean?!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Mike speaks Chinese too! Will his talents never cease?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts