The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't have a digital camera, so I can't provide a picture. However, if anyone can identify this plant and its care by my description, I'd really appreciate it.

I recently purchased a plant listed as "H. C." at an aquarium store. The people at the store couldn't tell me what it stood for or much else about it other than that it was "the smallest aquatic plant" and it requires high light. It is very small, standing less than 1 cm in height, and it seems to grow like a little field of clover. It's bright green with very small leaves and very shallow roots. It was sold in little pots of wool-like material. To plant it, I cut off all but a half inch of the wool and then partially buried the remaining part under gravel.

If anyone knows the full scientific name of this or the best conditions for it, please let me know. Currently it's in a newly set up lightly planted (for now) 2.5 gallon tank with a 10W compact fluorescent. The water is very soft with a pH of about 7.2. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, and nitrate is about 10 ppm. The animal residents are 4 cherry shrimp, 4 Endler fry, and 4 Apistogramma cacatuoides fry. I dose the water weekly with a small amount of a Kent plant supplement and Fluorish Excel, although I plant to start adding Excel more often. Water changes are about 30% each week.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
ya what he said. if it were me i wouldnt buy anything from someone who doesnt know what the plant even is. for you would know he could have went out to a local pond and got what ever it was all he would have to do is slap a name on it. (this has happend to me before lol)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also check out "HM" Hemianthus micranthemoides. Awesome plant, I like it much better than HC. HC has very small leaves but is perfect if you want a real thin carpet look.

HM (underneath the Rotala Wallichii):

1 - 4 of 4 Posts