The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a shrimp called "orange bee shrimp" in petco. The thing is, there's really nothing like that online. I've tried searching out something that looks similar to her, but she seems so distinct. She's opaque yellow in color, with a patch of clear on both sides. Very active little girl. Just want to know what she is so I can tailor to her needs. She is currently being kept with my red cherry shrimp (who I actually think are fire red Sakura shrimp and not cherry shrimp..but that's what they were labeled...not sure).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Does it really look yellow? Or is it more so white?
If white (like in pic 1), I would also say it's a Golden Bee shrimp or low grade white bee which are Caridinas (like soft acidic water)
If it's a distinct full yellow (like in pic 2), I have never seen a yellow shrimp like that. Even still, Neos don't often have that opaque color, besides Painted Fire Reds, so it's still likely a white/golden bee (Caridina).

Water parameters care specs here
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

By the way, fire red sakuras ARE Red Cherry Shrimp, just a grade of coloration. Same with painted fire reds.
All the other color Neocaridinas are just selective bred mutations from the red cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the input! I thought it was a golden bee(that's what I said in my other thread because I just assumed) but when I saw pictures of a golden bee online, it wasn't the same as my shrimp...mine is a distinct bright yellow. The picture with the flash on is what it looks like under normal light: bright opaque yellow shrimp. Should I just care for it like a golden bee or a cherry? And oh interesting! Thanks for that. I didn't realize fire red was the grade. I'm a novice, and I've seen a few websites that classify fire painted red shrimp as their own species...so that's why I thought so. My bad! Still call them my cherries :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, I looked up images of the fire yellow, and it is the color of mine, but all the ones online are translucent...while mine is opaque. Maybe some new variant? Or yellow tint bee shrimp? Not sure what petco is selling nowadays haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
The bloody mary is opaque too, but comes from the Shoko.

Fired red painted is opaque too

May we call yours "Fire yellow painted"? It looks like a neocaridina anyways. And a nice one ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.