The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one behind the Red Wendtii, I have a sneaking suspicion it's one of those magical tube-surprise-not-aquatic-plants from PetCo or Petsmart..

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
You're right. It's not an aquatic but I'm not sure what species.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's hard to tell, but it looks like a dracaena. Not aquatic, but they make great houseplants. You should take it out and pot it up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've definitely learned my lesson when it comes to the tubes. I miss those live plants tanks the big chains used to have. I might try potting it, even though my cats would probably have a field day with it. I appreciate the timely responses. :flick:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm almost positive it is a white ribbon plant from PetSmart. Only cuz I work there and know we sell them and its absolutely stupid that we do. Once this plant has been under water for a good amount of time it loses its white ribbon look on the leaves and they just appear green. Either way its a bog plant and won't last too long in your tank. I had about 4 of them in a tank of mine several months back (by accident) and they rarely sprouted a new leave and occasionally some leaves melted.

So I'd ditch it if you can, sell it to someone that has a terrarium or vivarium of some sort, cuz it'll be more harmful in the long-run than helpful

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it's a 'white ribbon plant', I believe it is a variegated form of Dracaena Sanderiana, otherwise known as Lucky Bamboo. They can grow with their roots in water, but their leaves need to be in the air. Still, great houseplant, pretty undemanding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, I've removed it. I might try a ripariumish setup with a little 2.5 gallon, so I suppose I'll keep them around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts