The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows just exactly how their plant got to them? Like how you got it from a hobbyist and where he got it from and where he got it from etc. I personally can't remember to save my life where I got most my plants. I do know I got my S. 'poro velho' from cris ramanos. I'm not sure where he got his from. If you see this though, Cris, mind telling me where yours came from?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think this would be a neat idea, especially with the rarer species.

I think it would be pretty awesome to have them for Shrimp species as well

I remember freshman year of high school my teacher showed us a lineage website for his greyhound. Would be pretty neat to see something like this on here with shrimps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My plants came from Bobs tank, he got them from George, George got them from Laura, Laura go them from Frank, Frank got them from Jack, Jack got them from Tony, Tony got them from Aj, Aj got them from Habib, Habib got them from Jose, Jose got them from Aquabid, the guy selling them on Aquabid got them from Jim, Jim got them from poindexter and he won them from an auction at his local fish club..

That is all I know.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ive had one of my crypts for 7+ years got from shermantanks 99% sure it came from one of the florida supplyers but thats about it all other plants swaps aape meeting or lfs never had a need or care where it came from just wanted a nice tank all filled in:)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Stupid question... I know... but... did Tom Barr discovered the species or he mutated it from some other plant?

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stupid question... I know... but... did Tom Barr discovered the species or he mutated it from some other plant?
The plant came from a german importer who ,on behalf of Tropica, found it on an expedition to S. america. That's about all I know.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The plant came from a german importer who ,on behalf of Tropica, found it on an expedition to S. america. That's about all I know.
It's been known botanically for a very long time, but yes, that's about how it came into the hobby. Christel Kasselmann sent a flowering specimen to an expert at the Smithsonian, who identified it and gave it a real name, which makes continuing to call it "049" completely ridiculous, as you have stated yourself.

I know where most of my plants came from because I go out and collect them myself. :D

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows just exactly how their plant got to them? Like how you got it from a hobbyist and where he got it from and where he got it from etc. I personally can't remember to save my life where I got most my plants. I do know I got my S. 'poro velho' from cris ramanos. I'm not sure where he got his from. If you see this though, Cris, mind telling me where yours came from?
I bought the Staurogyne sp 'Porto Velho' from somebody in either Oregon or Washington. I forgot his name but he was generous in sending out extra stems and sold it for about a dollar per stem. It was not an ordinary/common plant at that time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts