The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
How long have you had them? They look like new additions since they have not fully colored up yet, or maybe its because you got the pictures shortly after the tank lights came on. A good rule of thumb is that male GBR's will not have any blue speckling inside the black spots on their sides, as to where females will, also females will have a pinker underbelly than males, here are a couple of pictures that point out a few differences between the two.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The first picture looks like a female to me. But, I can't tell with the others. I can't see it clearly enough :)

Males have a longer pointed black tip on its dorsal fin. Also the little red tips on the tail are longer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How long have you had them? They look like new additions since they have not fully colored up yet, or maybe its because you got the pictures shortly after the tank lights came on. A good rule of thumb is that male GBR's will not have any blue speckling inside the black spots on their sides, as to where females will, also females will have a pinker underbelly than males, here are a couple of pictures that point out a few differences between the two.

His info don't believe applies to bolivian the same as German. I'm in the same boat just brought home 4 bolivian and it's almost impossible to tell the difference.. I would suggest give no them a few days to acclimate and then try to judge the dorsal fins, and "anal spur" the males will generally have the second Spike on their dorsal fin be longer, and the anal spur will be smaller and point back, where as the female will be bigger, rounder and point down more.. Of course this is just what I've read and it's harder to judge in practice.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
These are mine.. And what I think may be the difference.. Could also be wrong though too.. As they are new to me and they haven't paired of spawned..

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it might be coincidence.. But the one I believe a female, is the only one without a distinguishable black circle in her sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.