The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I ordered 50 gal UNS 90P tank + cabinet but while cabinet is here, aquarium delivery date is disappearing ... (covid).

I'm looking at other options. Waterbox does have a similar size aquarium but 5cm deeper than the UNS cabinet.

Cabinet surface = 900mm x 450mm
Aquarium base = 900mm x 500mm

If I go for that aquarium, and push it back so the front is flush with cabinet, but the back hangs out a little bit (5cm) from the cabinet, I wonder if that would present any danger? Would the base be strong enough (it's built with 1cm glass).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
With smaller aquariums I wouldn't mind using a piece of 3/4 plywood but for a 50 gallon.. I would not rely on plywood to be the sole support of nearly 2 inches of a 50 gallon tank including 2 of the corners.

You could get a piece of granite counter top cut and I feel like that could be strong enough ... maybe. Honestly if it were me I would either return the cabinet or wait for the proper tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Waterbox 4820 with cabinet and the tank. The cabinet doors are designed to sit flush with the doors. So when the doors are open there will be a little bit of overhang from the tank. The materials the tank and cabinet are made off are designed to compensate for the overhang. No need to put plywood underneath.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
With smaller aquariums I wouldn't mind using a piece of 3/4 plywood but for a 50 gallon.. I would not rely on plywood to be the sole support of nearly 2 inches of a 50 gallon tank including 2 of the corners.
Good catch, my friend! Appreciate you doing the math. I don't do well with metric and when I saw the measurement in millimeters my brain just assumed it was slight. Rather than go with granite or stone, I'd think a couple of 2x4s at each back corner (from top to floor) would make plywood sturdy enough. But yeah, a 2" overhang could be trouble, especially if it were to get wet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
For that much of a hang over I would screw and glue a 2" x 4" horizontally along the back top edge of the current stand and leave it 1/16" or so proud of the top of the stand. I would then trim the 2x4 flush to the top with a router and flush trim bit. I think this would be much better support than a 3/4" piece of plywood and probably look better too.

OK, a 2 x 4 won't give you the 50mm you need. Be creative and laminate a couple pieces of thinner wood if needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.