The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dealing with size constraints. My 90 looks great in the room, but I cant fit furniture in with it. A hex would fix nicely in the corner. Does it make a decent planted tank? What size is the smallest size that you would use?

Thanks.

Marty

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Seems like the only real lighting option would be a bulb-type that's hanging over the tank. MH would work, or possibly those spiral fluorescent bulbs, depending on size & depth of the tank. I don't think a hex tank is a great option for a planted tank though, as it provides limited space for a real aquascape. Corner tanks may work though, as I've seen some that have decent, albeit limited, lighting options. Remember, you can always use a canister filter and a small inline PVC reactor for Co2. Plus, if you get (or make your own) lily pipes, there won't be a lot of clutter in the tank, since space is limited.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Agreed with the above. I have a 10g planted hex and wouldn't do it again if I had the option. They're difficult to scape, are generally very tall for their gallonage and lighting is a PITA. I wound up hanging a CF light over mine and came out with a relatively decent scape for a hex, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with a standard tank.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Everyone I know that has had one, has said never get a hex for a planted tank. I am sure all of their reasons vary, but it has been resounding from what I hear.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marty-

I have a 34 galon "corner hex" (so its really a pentagon). Finding the correct lighting was a royal pain. I have a wooden canopy over the tank which affored me a few more options. I managed to get some awesome lights at Home Depot (2x65W 6700K CF bulbs), install two little computer fans as cooling fans and it has all worked like a charm! Yes it was a challenge but I had space constraints as well and the end result is a great looking tank that fits snugly in the corner of the room. I have had no problems growing plants so far...I actually just got the pressurized C02 stuff I ordered as well so I bet that makes it even more of a jungle!

If you want to know more about the lights I used let me know...don't give up on finding exactly what you want...it is all worth it in the end!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts