The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14g biocube, maybe 70% dwarf sag. then the rest are mid and foreground plants with riccia floating..

I have 3 Amanos in my tank for 5 months now with 3 neons, 3 black neons, 3 rummynose, 3 ottos, and a bamboo shrimp.. About a week ago, I decided to buy a Half moon betta and put it in my biocube just until the weekend so I can setup something for the betta..
Maybe during the betta's 3 day i saw that my Amanos try to go to the surface and bug him.. I thought it was fun at first until I didn't see my betta again over the weekend..

I thought maybe my bro took the betta cause I told him if he wants it he can take it.. But when I did my weekly water change, i saw the betta's scaley carvass and its head..

Now, I'm wondering who's the murderer.. I really think it's the 3 Amanks! Lol.. But seriously, the Betta was healthy the last time I saw him..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard about any killer amanos...so that's pretty weird. Maybe they all had an organized assault on your betta and the amanos were the kingpins... ;) Seriously though, sorry for your loss. :( Hope you find out the cause of death.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would say that the betta was sick. If it was laying on the bottom and not moving the Amanos may have started eating it before it was all the way dead, but I've never heard of them killing healthy fish. Especially if your poor betta was one of the kind that get kept in the cups, he could have been already sick and stressed before he came to you.

I don't think your tank is overstocked; I wouldn't put them in a 5 gallon, but that amount of fish seems about right for 14 gallons. However, your neons, black neons, and rummynoses would all benefit from at least 2-3 more fish of the same type. You don't have enough room to add those to your current tank, but if you set up another tank you might consider increasing the school sizes and moving one or two of the schools into your other tank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the reply and support guys..

I asked a betta breeder, and he basically told me that the betta was stressed due to the current of my biocube and not due to "murder" (lol) or stress due to no aquarium space..

I was thinking of reviving my old 10g, so i can separate my tetras.. And since I already know how to make a regulator for a paintball cheap..

Again, Thanks for your input guys..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your stock list isn't overstocked... Except for the black neons, the others are relatively small.

I had more than that and larger tetras like a few Buenos Aires and black skirt in an Eclipse 12G for quarantining before I put htem in my 55G.

I have 6 Amanos in my 55G and I have never seen them kill a fish yet however they love to feast on meaty foods including dead fish. I can't get my 14 day guarantee from a few purchases since there's no carcass left!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.