The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bolivian Ram eggs! I was going to post this to ask since I have nerite eggs everywhere, but once everyone woke up after turning the lights on it it was pretty clear as there is an angry mama watching over them (99% of her anger seems to be at the male)

I wasn't even planning on breeding them, just got them because they are easy to keep and have such nice and friendly personalities. It's a pretty well stocked community so I don't expect anything from it, but it's always fun to watch the behaviors.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Bolivian Ram eggs! I was going to post this to ask since I have nerite eggs everywhere, but once everyone woke up after turning the lights on it it was pretty clear as there is an angry mama watching over them (99% of her anger seems to be at the male)

I wasn't even planning on breeding them, just got them because they are easy to keep and have such nice and friendly personalities. It's a pretty well stocked community so I don't expect anything from it, but it's always fun to watch the behaviors.
Neat picture but what kind of cat? is that in the background? Love his markings.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The eggs are actually right up front where I can easily see what is going on. Since there is always a chance of aggression with dwarf chichlids I have the stone kind of around the middel of the tank as kind of a divider on the bottom. There are three big holes in it that the fish can swim through. I'm glad they picked the hole right in the front.

As for the cory cat it's a sterbai. Back when I did this tank the first time a little over a year ago I planned on doing blue rams and got the sterbai because they can handle the higher temps. I ended up putting the blue rams in my tank at work though. I completely redid this tank over the holidays from scratch as I had nothing but problems with it the first time and I have four sterbai left from the first time.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Depending on your stock, some of the fry might have a chance at surviving long enough to be caught and placed in a breeder net. You could also put some big wads of Java moss over by the cave for the fry to hide in when they hatch. You definitely won't get the entire batch, but that's probably a couple hundred eggs with a very defensive parent, so you might end up with a few teeny rams scooting around if you give them a chance to grow past eatin' size for everybody else.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll see what I can do. The other side of the cave is a little less open and there is a coconut cave right next to it. I have some moss I can grab from my tank at work and I also have a big wad of subwassertang in this tank, would that work? I don't care if I get them all, I try to keep my tanks very natural so while I'm willing to help them out, I do want them to kind of do it on their own.

I'm not good at telling the size, but I'd say they are probably between 2-3 inches. I've had them for around a month now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You'd be surprised at how effective the cichlids can be at protecting their fry . I have had jaguar cichlids breed and raise dey in a 240 complete with oscars, salvini, tiger shovelnose , and Red Devils. In the same tank I had salvini breeding and juveniles growing out. I got some leleupi to adults in a tangyanikan tank . It all depends on how much micro fauna is available, and the hiding possibilities for the fry.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something must be in the air because I just noticed this in my tank at work

Apistogramma cacatouides eggs! These might not be brand new as both females were dancing for the male over the weekend. I guess its still cave breeding if you put their eggs on the outside of the cave. No idea if they are fertile or not but based on how aggressive all of the apistos have been lately (I found a dead espei in the tank this morning that looked like he might have been killed) I'm guessing so. I'm interested in seeing how this goes as I only got them 12 days ago.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolivian ram eggs are hatching! First time mom doesn't know how to handle the cory cats though. Still a lot there, but she chases one away and another sneaks around while she's distracted. She's doing a pretty good job of scooping them up though, there were a few times I thought the cory cats ate all the ones she moved to the substrate, but them she spits out a huge mouthful of them

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also spoil the fish with lots of good food which I'm sure doesn't hurt. I put a couple of shrimp pellets at the ends of the tank and the cory cats are now distracted and leaving her alone to tend to the babies. Looks like a lot survived their earlier assault.

·
Registered
673 Posts
and now the apisto eggs have hatched. I think these will be fine, the few fish that are in with the apistos are scared to death of them so I don't think anyone is going to try and mess with them.

ok, both of my female apistos apparently laid eggs at pretty much the same time as I've got two different sets of eggs hatching in the tank. Never saw the second one, but I just saw her corralling the babies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.