The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home with a couple of plants. I thought I would put them into my 10 gallon. Its transitioning right now. I have 2 german rams in there. I took a like bundle of plants and stuck them into the back left corner. When I did my german ram came up to my hand and bit at it. "Thats weird" I thought to myself. After I took my hand back out I looked at the rams and saw a bunch of little eggs sitting there on the substrate (eco). I am so happy about this. This is the first time any of my fish have mated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is a crappy picture I know... The top left corner of the picture is where I was putting the plant bundle into the ground. The german ram (I assume male) is sitting right above the eggs.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Good luck with that! If they're the only ones in the tank you might actually raise some fry.

They're plucky little beggars and very protective when they've got eggs/fry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the otos and the shrimp last night. After I did that I was watching the rams and it seemed like they were fighting.. The female would come up and start biting the male on his head. It was very violent the way both of them moved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If they breed like clowns than it sounds like he wasn't fanning the eggs as much as she wanted him to! If this is the first time they have spawned then he is a "newb" at this and she is going to do her best to woop him into shape!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have riccia tied to a rock in my tank. It looked like the rams dug out a little hole in the riccia. Today I looked in there and i could see about 50 little fry hanging out. I thought that all the eggs had been eaten but i guess they either moved them to the riccia or they laid new eggs and now they have hatched. I put a paper towel over the intake on the filter and it is working great. What will these little babies eat?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Baby Brine Shrimp are pretty good and then crumbled flake or very small crumblings of pellets. Frozen Daphnia work pretty well when they have a bit more size on them.

They grow pretty fast too so you wont be burdened with tiny fry for long.

Grats!:icon_bigg

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Way to go! 50 rams! Your rich! LOL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've heard of people using egg yolk to feed the fry.

Sadly, my female GBR died before I could get any eggs to hatch. Two times they spawned, two times the male had a cannibalistic lunch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've heard of people using egg yolk to feed the fry.

Sadly, my female GBR died before I could get any eggs to hatch. Two times they spawned, two times the male had a cannibalistic lunch.
Yeah some times the rough can hurt:frown and to bad you lost the fem. As for the egg yolk Yes I have tried it but the mess in the tank adding to the tanks volume of filter needs just does not make it worth it to me.
I try to stick to living foods at first to keep the tank from being as messy.

Cannibals are hard to deal with without removing the eggs after about an hour of time. Thats one of the reasons I used a piece of rock for them to breed on easy removal to a small jar for seperate popping.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.