The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amazon.com/WHITE-LED-Aquarium-Light-Panel/dp/B001NDU9XG

Just wondering i know Hoppy did a DIY LED build, but i for one am to lazy and no where near smart enough to attempt such a build. But i also would like to have a LED fixture due to low energy consumption/shimmering effect. I stumbled across these and was wondering how well they would work. Any opinions and prior experiance is appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also can you buy LED's that peak in the red/blue areas of the spectrum like other lighting methods"T5" ? If not can you add reb or blue leds to suppliment ? I need a LED expert to PM me i have alot of questions.

Like how does the WPG rule work with LEDS ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of the most important aspects of a planted aquarium's lighting is PAR. Absent knowledge of the PAR rating of a specific light, you may use the number of lumens as an estimate of the light intensity. Based on the table provided at http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Light-Bulb-Comparison/29/, the 13.8 watts deliver approximately 441.6 lumens, a T12 equivalent of 6 watts, or enough for a low-light 5gal tank! Anyone agree/disagree?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I know you can't relate the light intensity for a LED panel like this one to "watts per gallon". This one is a foot square, and "designed to light 2 square feet" according to the specifications for it. That, of course, means virtually nothing. For sure those LEDs are the very low power ones, around 1/16th of a watt each, and those just don't provide a lot of light. If someone wants to do us all a favor they will buy one, borrow a PAR meter, and measure the light intensity at several distances from the panel, like 12, 16, and 24 inches. Then we will know something for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on thanks hoppy, just curious how much would it take for "you personally" to make a light fixture to my specification and ship it to me. Lets talk shoot me a PM. Im not a cheap guy so id for sure want the buck pucks and good quality LEDs.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Right on thanks hoppy, just curious how much would it take for "you personally" to make a light fixture to my specification and ship it to me. Lets talk shoot me a PM. Im not a cheap guy so id for sure want the buck pucks and good quality LEDs.
I made a decision several years ago not to make aquarium related things for sale. I treat this entirely as a hobby. Since I don't have a workshop where I can work comfortably I only make the things I really, really want. Sorry. Search the DIY section and you will find at least two others who have made good LED fixtures, and might be interested in making a deal with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.