The Planted Tank Forum banner

Camallanus 馃ぎ Please help!

363 7
Hello, unfortunately I have discovered I have a camallanus infestation. I'm so disgusted. I have a 50g pretty heavily planted. I've done my research on how to treat, I'm using Fritz Expel-P. I'm going to medicate both the food and the water column per my research. Moving all fish to a hospital tank for 3 weeks to clean up the paralyzed worms easier and eliminate their life cycle.

Here are my questions, sorry I have a lot.
1. How do I clean/decontaminate my plants
2. How thoroughly do I need to clean my dragon stone & drift wood
3. My substrate is eco complete with an area of just sand, is it best to just replace or will vacuuming be enough? I have more sand, I can easily replace that.
4. Do I have to take apart my eheim 2217 and clean it? So scared about cycle crashing?
5. Is a 10g hospital tank big enough for a fully stocked 50g (mollies, ember tetras, plecos, rainbowfish, peacock gudgeon) or do I need a 20g? Hoping to keep them all hospitalized for 3 weeks to ensure all larvae in the main tank do not survive. If this actually works do I need to be worried about deep cleaning my main tank?
6. How do I make sure I keep them alive in the hospital tank, it's getting set up now with a sponge filter and is not cycled. Can I just toss a piece of the canister filter floss in there?

Send good vibes, I've learned this is an awful one to deal with. I don't feed live food so they must have hitchhiked.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1-4 keep your tank without fish, shrimp, and snails.
5. probably need a 20long. probably will take at least a month to treat.
6. don't use floss from filter. test for ammonia and nitrite. expect to do water changes daily or every other day. look into getting some nitrifying bacteria (dr. tim's).

check this article out. good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1-4 keep your tank without fish, shrimp, and snails.
5. probably need a 20long. probably will take at least a month to treat.
6. don't use floss from filter. test for ammonia and nitrite. expect to do water changes daily or every other day. look into getting some nitrifying bacteria (dr. tim's).

check this article out. good luck.
Thank you! That's actually the exact article I am following for my treatment plan. Thanks for confirming I'm on the right track!

Registered
if you have levamisol, i would use it initially in the water column if the worms are visible from the anus to get them out of there and to vacuum them up. note that he treats for 3 months. thank your lucky stars that you don't have capillaria, i've been battling it for years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you have levamisol, i would use it initially in the water column if the worms are visible from the anus to get them out of there and to vacuum them up. note that he treats for 3 months. thank your lucky stars that you don't have capillaria, i've been battling it for years.
Yes that's what I have, Expel-P.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did the worms drop off after using expel-p in the water column?

i need to mix levamisol in the food. but can't find pure gelatin that's why i still have capillaria.
Yes they did! I think I have it solved. However...I am confident the mollies were the source so they are staying in the hospital tank for a bit. I fed the medicated food more often than what they recommended just to be sure. I found the gelatin at the grocery store, I'd think you should be able to find it on amazon?

Registered
Yes they did! I think I have it solved. However...I am confident the mollies were the source so they are staying in the hospital tank for a bit. I fed the medicated food more often than what they recommended just to be sure. I found the gelatin at the grocery store, I'd think you should be able to find it on amazon?
glad you had success. yes, i did order from amazon and will start treatment in a couple of weeks. keeping it bay by upping my husbandry routine; haven't had any deaths or wasting away in months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts