The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AquariumInfo: http://aquariuminfo.org/crs.html, http://aquariuminfo.org/makingmoney.html
FishYou: http://www.fishyou.com/shrimp-crs.php
PlantedTank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/40625-breeding-crs-small-tanks-5.html,
PlantedInverts: http://www.planetinverts.com/breeding softwater shrimp by kenshin.html, http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal Red Shrimp.html
ShrimpNow: http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/133-Water-Parameters-pH-GH-KH-NO3-CO2

All seems to be very valuable resources, but how practical are the information provided? There are countless articles I've read that has so many success stories, but most posts are outdated, so I want to gather new information.

Please respond with YOUR water parameters and how successful are you at keeping them (i.e. birth > deaths)?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. These information will not only help me, but perhaps for many others like me :) Thanks!!!

pH:
kH:
gH:
TDS:
Temperature Range:
% of water change bi-weekly:
* Assuming that all tanks are @ 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrate and 0 Nitrite

PS: Anyone raising CRS in CO2 injected tanks? I would like to hear how that is going for you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
pH: 6.8-7.4

KH: 0-1

GH: 3-4

TDS: ~80ppm

Temp: 70-78F

No supplimental CO2 or ferts.

5% water change every 2-3 days. 20-30% water change about once a month. I've got crazy soft tap water so I use that for water changes. No RO or remineralizers, just a little declorinator.

I've been keeping them for a little over a year now, started with 30, now I have probably close to 300. So far the only issue I've had was last winter when my GH dropped down very low and they stopped breeding for a few months until I figured out and corrected the problem. I have a ton of baby shrimp currently, and breeding is occurring almost daily.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ph: 6.2 6-8 kh: 0 gh: never test, TDS: never test, Temp: 70-78
10 to 20% weekly water changes. I don't have any problems breeding these guys:)
pH: 6.8-7.4

KH: 0-1

GH: 3-4

TDS: ~80ppm

Temp: 70-78F

No supplimental CO2 or ferts.

5% water change every 2-3 days. 20-30% water change about once a month. I've got crazy soft tap water so I use that for water changes. No RO or remineralizers, just a little declorinator.

I've been keeping them for a little over a year now, started with 30, now I have probably close to 300. So far the only issue I've had was last winter when my GH dropped down very low and they stopped breeding for a few months until I figured out and corrected the problem. I have a ton of baby shrimp currently, and breeding is occurring almost daily.
I've read in some places to focus more in gH and pH and that kH would still be ok in the "low range", as in 1-2, and they would still be able to breed, is this information correct?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've read in some places to focus more in gH and pH and that kH would still be ok in the "low range", as in 1-2, and they would still be able to breed, is this information correct?
I'll explain what happened to me last winter.

I used to use an RO filter and do water changes with a 50/50 mix of RO and tap water. This gave me water with a pH around 6.8 and KH/GH both around 4.

About 10 months ago though, my tap water changed abruptly and I wasn't as good about keeping tabs on parameters back then as I am now. So before I knew it, the KH and GH in my tank had both dropped down below 1. I didn't have many deaths from it, so it took me awhile to realize what was going on, but my shrimp completely stopped breeding and the growth rate of the baby shrimp dropped dramatically.

Once I realized what was going on I switched to 100% tap water, stopped using RO water entirely, bought some mosura mineral plus and started dosing with that. It brought the GH up but doesn't effect KH or pH. After using that my shrimp started breeding and growing again.

Eventually my tap water changed slightly again, to roughly the parameters I listed above, so I stopped using the mineral plus and they seem do be doing extremely well on just plain tap water.

So to answer your question directly: Yes, it appears that CRS are fine with extremely low KH, but they need a reasonable GH to be able to molt and breed.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
I'm almost done cycling a new tank for my K14s. I will use RO as usual and the parameters will be. (pretty much the same for all my shrimp tanks)

pH: 6.4
kH: 0-1
gH: 5-6
TDS: 150-170
Temperature Range:75
% of water change bi-weekly: 10% once a month

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll explain what happened to me last winter.

I used to use an RO filter and do water changes with a 50/50 mix of RO and tap water. This gave me water with a pH around 6.8 and KH/GH both around 4.

About 10 months ago though, my tap water changed abruptly and I wasn't as good about keeping tabs on parameters back then as I am now. So before I knew it, the KH and GH in my tank had both dropped down below 1. I didn't have many deaths from it, so it took me awhile to realize what was going on, but my shrimp completely stopped breeding and the growth rate of the baby shrimp dropped dramatically.

Once I realized what was going on I switched to 100% tap water, stopped using RO water entirely, bought some mosura mineral plus and started dosing with that. It brought the GH up but doesn't effect KH or pH. After using that my shrimp started breeding and growing again.

Eventually my tap water changed slightly again, to roughly the parameters I listed above, so I stopped using the mineral plus and they seem do be doing extremely well on just plain tap water.

So to answer your question directly: Yes, it appears that CRS are fine with extremely low KH, but they need a reasonable GH to be able to molt and breed.
Thanks for this really detailed scenario that happened to you. Would certainly help to let others watch out. You said they need SOME kH and gH and it can't be too low, but would 1-3 kH and 5-7 gH be "too high"? I am getting a lot of mixed scenarios so end up overall :confused:.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I usually hear that a GH of 4-6 is best for CRS, but if mine are doing fine at the extreme low end of that range then yours should be equally fine at the upper limit of it.

As for the KH, anything between 0-4 seems to be irrelevant. So long as it's low they seem to do well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
One thing for sure is there is a difference between keeping CRS alive and getting them to breed. Crs will survive outside the parameters mention above, they may not breed or display there best colors.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually hear that a GH of 4-6 is best for CRS, but if mine are doing fine at the extreme low end of that range then yours should be equally fine at the upper limit of it.

As for the KH, anything between 0-4 seems to be irrelevant. So long as it's low they seem to do well.
If I were to say, 3-4kH, would that be too high? From the post above, I think its too high to breed but not too high to keep even high grades right?

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
I'm almost done cycling a new tank for my K14s. I will use RO as usual and the parameters will be. (pretty much the same for all my shrimp tanks)

% of water change bi-weekly: 10% once a month??

I'm confused. you said bi-weekly, but after it you said once a month.

so 5% per 2 weeks? Or do not touch at all until at the end of the month?

edit: btw I thought shrimps need "perfect" clean water, so vigorous water change is a must....? totally confused.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I thought shrimps need "perfect" clean water, so vigorous water change is a must....? totally confused.
If you have a mature and well planted aquarium and use very soft water for top-offs then you can easily go several weeks without a serious water change.

What harms shrimp is buildup of either ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. A well cycled aquarium will very quickly convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates, which will be removed almost as fast as it's created if you have enough fast growing plants like java moss or some stem plants.

Alternatively, shrimp can be harmed if the water parameters change, such as what would happen when water evaporates and the water hardness rises. If you're topping off with very soft water (RO water is ideal) then any changes will be minimal. If you top off with harder water, or don't top off at all, then TDS and water hardness will rise.

The reason I do so many water changes is mostly because I have quite a bit of driftwood and I'm working to slowly but steadily bring down the tannens in the water that have stained it with a weak tea color. It will take months for that to go away but once it does I'll step down to weekly water changes.

If I were to say, 3-4kH, would that be too high? From the post above, I think its too high to breed but not too high to keep even high grades right?
My crystals range from A-SSS and they used to breed just fine in water with a KH around 4.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have a mature and well planted aquarium and use very soft water for top-offs then you can easily go several weeks without a serious water change.

What harms shrimp is buildup of either ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. A well cycled aquarium will very quickly convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates, which will be removed almost as fast as it's created if you have enough fast growing plants like java moss or some stem plants.

Alternatively, shrimp can be harmed if the water parameters change, such as what would happen when water evaporates and the water hardness rises. If you're topping off with very soft water (RO water is ideal) then any changes will be minimal. If you top off with harder water, or don't top off at all, then TDS and water hardness will rise.

The reason I do so many water changes is mostly because I have quite a bit of driftwood and I'm working to slowly but steadily bring down the tannens in the water that have stained it with a weak tea color. It will take months for that to go away but once it does I'll step down to weekly water changes.

My crystals range from A-SSS and they used to breed just fine in water with a KH around 4.
Wow! I am very happy to know that A-SSS can breed in kH around 4. I think the key to would just be "stable conditions" right? :fish:

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

10% per month, that is very little. I guess you only feed every 2-3 days?

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
I only feed every other day, but I don't have a ridiculous breeder tank that's packed with 500 shrimps either. The only time I do a big water change (30%) is when I have new shrimps coming in. I do a big change a day before shrimp arrival so they can arrive to prime water.

IMO it depends on how big your tank is also, for my 60p I do 10% once a month to once every 3 weeks. Smaller tank 30c I'll do 10% weekly. It's really not the time that dictates when I change. It is when my TDS of the tank creeps over 200ppm. Then I'll do a change with 100ppm RO water to lower the TDS.

And of course daily top offs with pure RO.

·
Registered
952 Posts
20 gallon tall
pH: 6.8
Temperature: 73-76
TDS: 150
RO/DI water
50% water change weekly
Amazonia New Aquasoil

Shrimp are only about a month new in this tank so havent seen any breeding yet but some of the females look ready now. Currently 18 mixed grade CRS. Mainly A and S.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only feed every other day, but I don't have a ridiculous breeder tank that's packed with 500 shrimps either. The only time I do a big water change (30%) is when I have new shrimps coming in. I do a big change a day before shrimp arrival so they can arrive to prime water.

IMO it depends on how big your tank is also, for my 60p I do 10% once a month to once every 3 weeks. Smaller tank 30c I'll do 10% weekly. It's really not the time that dictates when I change. It is when my TDS of the tank creeps over 200ppm. Then I'll do a change with 100ppm RO water to lower the TDS.

And of course daily top offs with pure RO.
I have read that the smaller the tank, the more there will be fluctuations. My bf and I are aiming to do water changes once our TDS gets past about 215ppm once our tank is established. At the meantime, however, the tank is still fairly new so we get a lot of fluctuation in TDS readings.

From what Liam told us, its most likely the Seiryu stones, but we hope that after a few months of weekly/biweekly water changes it stop being the "big issue". At least that is what we hope. Have been trying to do research online but not much info.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
20 gallon tall
pH: 6.8
Temperature: 73-76
TDS: 150
RO/DI water
50% water change weekly
Amazonia New Aquasoil

Shrimp are only about a month new in this tank so havent seen any breeding yet but some of the females look ready now. Currently 18 mixed grade CRS. Mainly A and S.
Looks like a very good start. No deaths I would assume? What are your gH/kH values?

·
Registered
952 Posts
No deaths and I just found my first berried female! :) Not measuring GH and kH. Doing roughly 75% RO and 25% tap water. Not too worried about those levels as long as I get my TDS and pH in the right places after a WC.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No deaths and I just found my first berried female! :) Not measuring GH and kH. Doing roughly 75% RO and 25% tap water. Not too worried about those levels as long as I get my TDS and pH in the right places after a WC.
Oh wow. Congrats! Do post pics! :bounce:
So at what TDS do you start doing the WC. I am assuming your 150TDS is the reading right after you do the WC? Do you have any driftwood, stones, decorations, etc. in your tank as well?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.