The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a hike up to the mountains closest to me in Charlottesville ,Virginia. The rock appears to be some sort of igneous rock if I recall my 8th grade earth science knowledge correctly. I'm quite positive it isn't a sedimentary rock. Anyway...vinegar test yielded no fizzle. With that being said do you all believe that there would be any metals in the rock that are harmful to inverts?
Bedrock Graphite Rock Metal Soil
Wood Plant Bedrock Trunk Terrestrial plant
Bedrock Wood Watercourse Formation Landscape
Bedrock Formation Volcanic rock Artifact Outcrop

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have to be a geologist to know that rock is inert.

Here's some help. Link
Thanks. I know you don't have to be a geologists..it's just an attention grabber more or less.... But how can you tell that it lacks metals that could hurt shrimp? I read through some PDFs about va minerals and couldn't identify the stone.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I didn't do so well in minerology...

anyways, just a guess over the internet, I'm thinking it might be some sort of large grained igneous that took some severe weathering.

See if you can find some geologic maps from the area- They will show where the different rock strata are exposed at the surface, and then you can find out what type of minerals are common in them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.