The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm going into surgery in one month. I tore my labrum and some other ligaments, or whatever (hey I'm no doctor).

Anyway, I have two lip piercings (snakebites). People tell me I'll have to take them out, problem is, they will close, and I'll be out $50 and a lot of pain it took to get these.

Will the plastic temporary ones be acceptable, or will the hospital still refuse to operate until I get rid of all piercings?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read about certain risks with something called an ESU I believe. Also, can be caught on face mask, or something.

I also assume they also see it as an infection risk.

Hospitals will take NO risks whenever they can cut them out. Malpractice is a (word for female dog).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
you should only have to take them out during surgery, I would bring the plastic ones just in case. But you should be able to put them in after you out of the operating room. But I may be wrong, I would check with the hospital to be sure.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
one of the Pre-op care that we are doing on the patient is to remove all the piercing stuff in the patient body, thats also inlcude rings, watch, necklace etc...

·
Registered
845 Posts
You know, it depends on the facility. Plastic "temp" spacers/piercings are allowed sometimes. That's why I say you should ask when you go to your pre-op appt. :) Bring in the temporary replacement to show them, it may help.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Are you getting any x-rays taken? Probably. Metals mess with x-rays so that's why they tell you to take it off. Well, in addition to the increase risk of infection since they can't be sure they sterilized it well enough...etc.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No X-Rays, just shoulder surgery.

I'd be worried about threading the correct gauge. If it closes even a little, the ring won't fit back in.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
No X-Rays, just shoulder surgery.

I'd be worried about threading the correct gauge. If it closes even a little, the ring won't fit back in.
I've never had any metal ornamentation significantly limit interpretation of a radiograph (I'm a Radiologist). MRI's, CT's ... those are different stories.

What would happen if you just refused to remove them? I'm not sure that they would cancel surgery because of this. They might make you sign a waiver or make special note of other risks (such as them tearing your lip on intubation/extubation) on obtaining consent. If nothing else that others have suggested pans out, consider refusing to remove them, knowing full well that this decision could have other significant consequences.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
im 100% sure it should be remove, when i was a nursing student we make sure the patient is clean, before we proceed to the surgery.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You only need to remove them for the duration of the surgery which shouldn't be more than a couple of hours. The problem even with nonmetallic piercings on your lips is with anesthesia as someone posted earlier. They have to intubate you when you're under general anesthesia and there's a risk of the equipment catching on your piercings and causing some damage. That may be no big deal to them if you sign a waiver, but if one of the piercings come loose and you end up aspirating it, that would be a major problem. (for you as well as them). Just take them out and put them back in later. Don't risk surgery worth several thousands and your mobility over some piercings and $50.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
i had a major surgery after sports related accident when i was younger and was intubated. thing is i had long dreadlocks, and they wanted to cut them before surgery to prevent the hair from getting caught up in the tubes or wires and instruments etc... as i was almost in shock, i told the nurse if they cut my hair i would sue (sounds like me then). And so, in order to get my hair out of the way, they pulled my hair back with hand towels and plastic tape. for like a month after surgery i was picking adhesive out my hair with towel lint, and large chunks of my own hair.

point is, make it as easy for the nurses to do what they want to do to you, else YOU might lose a lip?? hahaha..... or maybe they would just tape your lips to your forehead and neck??? jk ofcourse...

and good luck in surgery!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will they even use a mask? They said I would be going under with sodium pentathol (sp?). That's not available in aerosol form correct? Or am I completely off base here?

Will they even have a waiver available to be signed? What if I refuse? Will they just not do the surgery?

If worse comes to worse I'll just take them out and collect the reward money from my grandmother (who hates them).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.