The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got 2 new shrimp have no clue what they are but they seem to be peaceful interesting shrimp
A side shot might even have shrimp #2 in it too

Another shot

and another

and yet another

to describe them they have been a blueish hue a reddish hue but right now both are holding at this greenish grayhue with a withe stripe on it (the pics aren't that great)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I think they're rainbow shrimp or ninja shrimp?

A wild caught shrimp of the Neocaridina species that tends to change color?

Dunno for sure though.
-Andrew

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
first instinct was definitely Amano shrimp for me as well. More clear pic's will easily confirm.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Rob,
I am about 98% sure they are not Amano Shrimp.

It is rare for the Amano to have those stripes, but is very common for the Malya. Now on the other hand, stripes are not a good way to identify a shrimp, but they can be a reliable way to exlude a shrimp.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the same ones, I'm farily confident they are indeed what is described on the petshrimp website as Malaya Shrimp. They were sold to me as amano shrimp, but about 1/10 of them actually were. Supposedly they are very loosely related to Amanos. The description "rainbow shrimp" above was correct, but this isn't an actual species, and is a catch-all used by fish stores that just have a bunch of shrimp and have no clue what the exact species is. In my experience, they are incredibly efficient at cleaning the substrate of algae and any detritus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts