The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a calcium deficiency in my tank, and the leaves on all my plants are really short, I have a TDS of 5.1 here in Greenville SC, and Calcium levels of 1.2 ppm and 0.53 ppm magnesium, The Rotala's leaves are half the size they should be, same with every plant in my tank. DOes powdered egg shells work? my ph is around 6.4

·
Banned
628 Posts
Try half a teaspoon per five gallons Calcium Sulfate:
Plus one quarter teaspoon per five gallons Magnesium Sulfate:
Some fish require more Calcium and Magnesium than this.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Gotta love the tap water in the Carolinas! You're getting yours from the Savannah River, right?

Good options for dry dosing Ca and Mg are:

The stuff above
Plaster of Paris (Calcium Sulfate)- this dissolves slowly, so make sure to sprinkle it over the tank in an area of high flow. Don't just dump a wad in there or it'll clump up and not dissolve.

Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate)- Regular pharmacy stuff for human use is fine. It's cheap and you get a lot.

Calcium Chloride (often the main component of dry reef Ca supplements)

Magnesium Chloride (the same as CaCl2)

Seachem Equilibrium (Ca, Mg, K, and Fe Sulfates). I prefer Equilibrium since it's got K and Fe. It's got a lot of K in it so I normally do a 1/3 dose to keep K at reasonable levels and use separate Ca and Mg products to target dose.

Brightwell Delta GH+

Keep in mind that GH in our tanks is a measure of Ca2+ and Mg2+, both of which are plant nutrients. Rather than dosing to get a specific GH, it's better to dose to achieve desired concentrations of them. If that's not your bag, you can dose for a specific GH and dose over the course of the time between water changes to maintain that GH as you'll effectively be dosing to compensate for consumption.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Seachem Equilibrium (Ca, Mg, K, and Fe Sulfates). I prefer Equilibrium since it's got K and Fe. It's got a lot of K in it so I normally do a 1/3 dose to keep K at reasonable levels and use separate Ca and Mg products to target dose.
Aha. So that's how you use Equilibrium. It could be more balanced though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Aha. So that's how you use Equilibrium. It could be more balanced though.
I have a fairly low light dirted tank that is fairly heavily stocked and I'm using Equilibrium for about half my GH with the rest from calcium chloride and epsom salt and no other fertilizer at all. The demands of the plants are low, so feeding the fish takes care of nitrogen, phosphate, and the micronutrients that I need hardly any of at all, and everything else is supplemented. Growth is slow and steady, algae is minimal, easy peasy. I wouldn't recommend Equilibrium in a lot of circumstances, but it works in this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotta love the tap water in the Carolinas! You're getting yours from the Savannah River, right?

Good options for dry dosing Ca and Mg are:

The stuff above
Plaster of Paris (Calcium Sulfate)- this dissolves slowly, so make sure to sprinkle it over the tank in an area of high flow. Don't just dump a wad in there or it'll clump up and not dissolve.

Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate)- Regular pharmacy stuff for human use is fine. It's cheap and you get a lot.

Calcium Chloride (often the main component of dry reef Ca supplements)

Magnesium Chloride (the same as CaCl2)

Brightwell Delta GH+

Keep in mind that GH in our tanks is a measure of Ca2+ and Mg2+, both of which are plant nutrients. Rather than dosing to get a specific GH, it's better to dose to achieve desired concentrations of them. If that's not your bag, you can dose for a specific GH and dose over the course of the time between water changes to maintain that GH as you'll effectively be dosing to compensate for consumption.
Sry about the late response, I get my water from Greenville water, so the lake reservoirs, It's the clearest water I have ever seen, thank you for the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.