The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very soft New York tap water - about 1 degree of both GH and KH. My Co2 level is about 30ppm. In the past, I've been using Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH and Baking Soda to raise KH. Upon further research, I realize that Equilibrum is mostly Potassium and is lacking a bit on the Calcium side. The reason I want some extra calcium is because I have CRS and my tank is mostly planted with Swords.

For the reasons above, would it be advisable to use Calcium Carbonate as oppose to Calcium Sulfate which is used in Tom's GH booster. I guess by real question is that I would like to understand the difference between, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, and Calcium Carbonate and how it is being utlizied in various diffferent setups.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
CaSO4, CaCl2 will add Ca without upping your PH or KH.

CaCO3 will raise your PH & KH but slowly, with reactions to acids in the tank. So this might be ideal for your purpose. Some CaCO3 are limestone, and sea/oyster shells. You can add this in a pouch and put it in your filter.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
+1 on adding a little pouch with crushed coral or oyster shells to your filter. It will provide a good buffering capability without throwing your entire chemistry out of wack.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a disaster with crushed coral......1 cup to 55 gallons of water.....ph went up to 8.0 over the course of two weeks..... the barbs and tetras weren't so happy about that! granted, I did mix it in with the substrate...and ended up having to redo my entire tank....so if you do try it, I second the pouch in the filter :) easier to undo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts