The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just came up with a very interesting idea for a CO2 reactor to add a little CO2 to a planted tank...what about a calcium carbonate reactor? One with some calcium carbonate chunks and a citric acid solution? My thought is that the citric acid solution would slowly dissolve the calcium carbonate and produce CO2 as a by product, which could then be funneled to the tank, and the reactor could be restarted when the chunks of calcium carbonate have mostly dissolved. Coincidentally, here is the reaction between the two;

3CaCO3 + 2H3C6H5O7 [Citric acid] → Ca3(C6H5O7)2 [Calcium citrate, which would likely form a powder...hence why I did not suggest calcium carbonate powder] + 3H2O + 3 CO2

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi everyone! I just came up with a very interesting idea for a CO2 reactor to add a little CO2 to a planted tank...what about a calcium carbonate reactor? One with some calcium carbonate chunks and a citric acid solution? My thought is that the citric acid solution would slowly dissolve the calcium carbonate and produce CO2 as a by product, which could then be funneled to the tank, and the reactor could be restarted when the chunks of calcium carbonate have mostly dissolved. Coincidentally, here is the reaction between the two;

3CaCO3 + 2H3C6H5O7 [Citric acid] → Ca3(C6H5O7)2 [Calcium citrate, which would likely form a powder...hence why I did not suggest calcium carbonate powder] + 3H2O + 3 CO2

I would think that the widely used bicarbonate and citric acid method would be more consistent because if the better solubility. Both would would be more laborious and less consistent than pressurized CO2 though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grah the great

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that the widely used bicarbonate and citric acid method would be more consistent because if the better solubility. Both would would be more laborious and less consistent than pressurized CO2 though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Fair. I used yeast reactors in the past but did have some trouble with consistency with those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.