The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went here 3 weeks ago after dropping my sister off at college. On the same day I went to the academy, I got my ADA 60-P from Aqua Forest Aquarium, both of which are located in San Francisco. The Academy had aquariums, vivariums, a jungle biosphere, and a planetarium. One of the aquariums was a HUGE Indonesian reef. It was absolutely Amazing, it will be even better once the corals really fill in.

On to the pics! These are NOT in any order so please forgive me.

Giant Reef (and my parents)

Coral in Reef

This is the Reef from above. You view the tank downstairs so this is the ground floor.

Flamboyant Cuttlefish! They had 3 cuttlefish tanks!

I have more to come but the images stopped working so I will post later.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Jungle Biosphere, it was 3 stories.

Sorry that it is washed out.

This "river" was in the jungle with lots of large fish, Arowanas even. You could walk under it.

This photo was sooo hard to get, I was 20ft away leaning over the rail a bit and trying to hold still and get a shot off before it flew off again.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This place is great, I went there a year ago but didnt have a chance to see the space thing they had =/ some kid coughed on me and I swear I got sick in 2 hours. Completly spoiled the trip. I almost couldnt drive home.

I love the huge aquarim there, especially when it comes to feeding time. You can see what happends on the sea floor and the upper areas.

THe live roof is cool. But there isnt much up there, just fresh air.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I posted these pics over on SFBAAPS a while back when I took them but here they are for you guys as well. Not as good as karatekid14's shots but you get the idea I hope.

Claude the albino alligator

Big California coast tank - the glass looks weird in this shot because I'm using a polorizer on my lense.

Forgot what these are called. Not a reefer here :tongue:

Can you say "Metal Halide"?? I wonder what their PG&E bill looks like. :icon_eek:

Underwater bubble viewer

This is one of their larger FW planted tanks. Not too shabby eh? Can you say dwarf saggggg!?!?

I liked this one.

This one was pretty bad with algae as well. Nice lilly though.

I'm not sure what theme they were trying to pull with this tank. It's got a bunch of killies and algae only. :icon_eek: They need a SFBAAPS member to go work for them!

Red Belly Piranha - these suckers were HUGE!

Electric eel just chillin.

I hate spiders! But I love taking pictures of them whenever I get the chance. :icon_mrgr

Super lizard! :tongue:

Poison dart frogs in the Rain Forest section - This was probably my favorite exhibit.

Orchids?? - beautiful aint it?

These next few shots were from the African Hall exhibit. I liked this exhibit a lot too. The pictures look like their paintings due to the lighting, but their actually life sized taxidermed animals (I think).

Love this shot!

Last but not least, they had a bike event going on as well where a bunch of kids were doing stunts. Happened to catch one shot of this guy doing a jump.

These guys were showing off their ulgra "GREEN" bikes. Made out of REAL bamboo! Can you believe that?!?! I was amazed at the craftsmanship. They're hand made in Oakland.

Got this shot of some hanging wall pics of the living roof, but I didn't get the chance to actually go up there. Next time for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
i love this place, i've gone about 4 times, each time it gets better and better. As you progress in the hobby and you learn more things, keep more fish, etc, you notice things you never noticed before and appreciate them a lot more.

A member of sfbaaps actually works for them and sets up a few of the exhibits, and a coworker of mine from my LFS (he's a reef guy) helped set up some of the reef tanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I couln't get many closeups because it was PACKED. I had to elbow my way way through to take the dartfrog pic.
If anyone is planning on going, I suggust you buy your ticket online. The line was super long going in, but since I bought my ticket I walked right in =)

·
Registered
351 Posts
i went for the first time a few months back.. it was pretty cool. i went there at night for the night life event... i wouldnt mind going back... but i'll probably bring my dslr next time. my pocket cam took some decent pics ..

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I'm glad the thread came back to life! My husband has been bugging me to go to San Francisco for New Year's this year. Definitely going to plan a visit to this place if we do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.