The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I bought a plant from my lfs, they didn't know what it was. I posted a pic here at the time, and folks told me it is cabomba. I'll try to post another pic if need be. What I want to know is, does it ever stop growing? I loved it for so long, but it has grown the 20" to the top of my tank, now it's grown sideways at the top, covering nearly 1/2 of my 55g! Since I have low light - I use a double bulb shoplight dirently on the glass top - it has a leggy look that I don't mind. Probably a solid 2" between leaf whorls. Can it be pruned? I assume I'd lose the pretty ends - I like the pinkish/reddish "poof" at the end, but really...it's taking over! ; )

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yea you just need to cut it and replant the trimmings. If you have the plant that has a reddish hue to it then it is likely cabomba furcata, which is the red version of typical cabomba carolina. Take come scissors and cut right above a node and replant the top part. Be sure to remove any of the leaves on the bottom part that gets planted because they tend to rot in the substrate.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know!
It only gets a pink/red tint at the very top where it gets the most light. Not dramatic, but definitely not green...
thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.