The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on fertilizers, dosing, EI, etc and it all makes sense but I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me about gH and Ca / Mg, and EI.

I understand that water hardness is primarily a measure of Ca and Mg ions, but from what I've read, I think there can be other ions that increase hardness as well, correct? So do the gH test kits (specifically API's) measure ONLY Ca and Mg or do they measure more along the line of total dissolved solids?

The standard micro/trace supply for the EI method seems to be CSM+B which, from what I can tell, does not contain Ca, but does contain Mg. Is this accurate? So I'm guessing the assumption is that Ca is supplied in suffcient quantity either in your tap water or by adding a separate GH booster if you have soft water.

My tap water is along the lines of 12-14 degrees gH by the API test kit and I usually cut it with distilled water at WCs to target about 8 degrees in the tank. Am I safe to assume that this level of hardness grantees sufficient Ca? Is it possible that my high gH readings could be entirely from Mg ions or other in the tap water, leaving me with a Ca deficiency if I use just CSM+B for micros/traces?

Am I understanding EI dosing and the gh/Ca/Mg relationship correctly? Is it worthwhile to buy a Ca test kit to rule this out?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.