The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think thats what the timer is for, to replace the expence of the solenoid, it says very little c02 is lost from the timer set up

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
From the link...

TIMER: This is an easy to set timer with just one on and off cycle per day. This timer can handle up to 1875 watts. The timer turns the Reactor on and off with aquarium lights to avoid night spikes when photosynthesis has stopped. CO2 bubbles escape up through reactor pump during off hours. (No more than $7 worth of CO2 lost per year in a typical aquaria using a timer instead of an expensive solenoid valve to control night spikes)
CO2 ends up where when the pump is off?

FILTERED CHECK VALVE: This is a one way valve with a pre-filter to keep any particulates out of your tank.
Maybe for this system the check valve they supply is insurance enough. I wouldn't trust it though long term on my regulators/solenoids.

NEEDLE VALVE: the needle valve is of solid brass construction. This valve can be adjusted down to about one bubble about every 7 or 8 seconds which is much less than most aquaria will require.
I think just about all needle valves I've seen are brass. It's ability to hold count along with the regulator's ability to hold a consistent pressure are most important if you'd rather not be chasing the bubble count forever.

JMO,

SteveU

·
Registered
316 Posts
GTR's feedback is right on. I think this is pretty sketchy, I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
From the link...

CO2 ends up where when the pump is off?

SteveU
I use my CO2 when the lights are on 8-9 hours a day. I refill and change my CO2 tank for about $15/per time about every three-four months. If I left the CO2 on the other 15 or so hours the lights were off for a total of 24 hours a day we're talking using up my CO2 about 2-3x as fast. My math shows me a lot more than $7/year in CO2 costs....now I'm maybe $50 a year in CO2 but 2.5x that is $125 a year.

Did I do that right?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
lol

I'd estimate if I ran CO2 24/7 it would conservatively cost me an added $100.00 annually. I like having that extra $100.00 but the main problem I'd have with it is the hassles of getting it filled much more often. I'd be filling the cylinder more often than I clean my canister filters. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
lol

I'd estimate if I ran CO2 24/7 it would conservatively cost me an added $100.00 annually. I like having that extra $100.00 but the main problem I'd have with it is the hassles of getting it filled much more often. I'd be filling the cylinder more often than I clean my canister filters. lol

SteveU
Good point! While disconnecting my regulator to change out my tank is not a difficult task it is not something I'd like to be doing every month! And then haul it down to get it refilled or changed out, and hauling it back.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have 46 gallon bowfront run co2 24/7 from 20 oz paintball tanks at 2-3 bps.

I swap paintball tanks every 4 weeks at $ 5.00 a fill. 52 weeks /4= $ 65.00 per year. So, running co2 doesn't cost that much compared to the cost of the solenoid. I've never suffered end of tank dumps or even gasping fish.

The main reason I use paintball tanks is because of physical space and the paintball store is 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have 46 gallon bowfront run co2 24/7 from 20 oz paintball tanks at 2-3 bps.

I swap paintball tanks every 4 weeks at $ 5.00 a fill. 52 weeks /4= $ 65.00 per year. So, running co2 doesn't cost that much compared to the cost of the solenoid. I've never suffered end of tank dumps or even gasping fish.

The main reason I use paintball tanks is because of physical space and the paintball store is 10 minutes away.
Mine's 72 gal and heavility planted. That seems like such little CO2 for a 46 gal. Are you lightly planted? What's your lighting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts