The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have approx 3-4 C02 tanks from playing paintball that I no longer use. Now I have seen several setups, but unsure of what is fully needed.

I know I need a regulator which I can get, but I'm guessing I need a diffuser also. And I'm also not sure what kind of tubing I need either. So here is my best guess.

Regulator - http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4530/product.web

Diffuser - http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11111/product.web

Hose - http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204164/i/1/product.web

Anything I'm missing?

·
Banned
58 Posts
frdfandc,

I don't think the regulator you have there is really a regulator. I believe there is a discussion a while back about this product and how it is a "controller" and not a true regulator. I don't think you will get the bubble rate you seek with this unit. The unit will most certainly have a EOTD. Basically, a End of Tank Dump, which mean it will empty the entire cylinder into the water, which could lead to stress and even dead fish of inverts.

If you want to get a top notch paintball regulator, get one from Orlando from GLA. (GreenLeaf Aquariums) It will be money well spent. Trust me, you do not want to go cheap on things like this.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Can you sell your paintball CO2 containers? Then invest in a 5# or larger CO2 cylinder.

You need to add a check valve to your list. Many people use the brass check valves.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Another thing to consider is how large of a tank you plan to use the pressurized CO2 on. CO2 tank prices do not differ that significantly (i.e. a 5 and 10 lb tank are almost the same price). In addition, differences in refill costs are essentially negligible, even in tanks as disparate as a 2.5lb and a 20lb tank.

You may also want to consider getting a regulator with a CGA320 fitting (i.e. for standard CO2 tanks) and then a paintball tank to CGA320 adapter instead. This way, if you decide to get a larger CO2 tank in the future, you will not need to purchase a new regulator.

Finally, don't forget the needle valve, you will need one to achieve the low bubble rate that we need in planted aquaria.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've had that regulator before...it works ok. You just have to keep adjusting the valve once in a while to get the right bubbles you desire. You do not need a needle valve b/c is has one built in. How I avoided the eotd is by looking at the guage and taking out the paintball tank when it gets close to empty.
You need a bubble counter and a check valve too.
Why not just get a glass diffuser? It's pretty cheap for a glass diffuser on ebay or something and they work great.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have one of these. It works OK. It can be sensitive to adjust, but once set it's been working fine. I'm expecting a new regulator to arrive within a few days. I travel a lot and wanted to be sure I had something rock solid, no fiddling, np worries.

If you like you can buy mine for $10 + shipping. I won't need it in a week.

·
Registered
183 Posts
frdfandc,
If you want to get a top notch paintball regulator, get one from Orlando from GLA. (GreenLeaf Aquariums) It will be money well spent. Trust me, you do not want to go cheap on things like this.

yup x2

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you get a regulator with a standard cga320 input with left handed thread, you can replace it with:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_PAINTBALL_REGUL_P1954.cfm

That's what I did, and when I want to go to standard co2 tanks, I will buy a standard cga320 input for $8.00. I can't use the original one that came with the regulator because, I boogered it up with vise grips getting it off. Darn locktite.

Another alternative, paintball shops have an on-off valve from SmartParts that is supposed to work with standard cga 320 inputs.

I currently use a Draught Technologies regulator and fabco needlevalve with the Williamsbrewing part on a 46 Gallon tank. I get 4 weeks out of a 20 ounce tank. The reason I went with paintball tanks is, there is a Paintball Store 10 minutes away and its open on weekends. The closest place to fill standard tanks is 20 miles away and they aren't open on weekends. If you are close to a place that fills standard tanks, it would be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I would try to get the largest co2 bottle you can fit. You will be glad you did:)
Unless this is for a Nano tank, then paintball would be just fine and may last just as long...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I would try to get the largest co2 bottle you can fit. You will be glad you did:)
Unless this is for a Nano tank, then paintball would be just fine and may last just as long...

Orlando,

There will be a time when I get a larger aquarium cabinet that would house a larger co2 tank. It would be cool if I could detach the larger tank setup and quickly reattach my paintball setup when the larger tank needs a refill. Do you know of a quick connect for co2 lines? Could the item below be used for that purpose?

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-manifolds-splitters/co2-y-splitter.html

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Do you mean a co2 tubing quick disconnect so all you do is transfer tubing to another tanks diffuser? If that is what you are looking for, I do have this, its very similar to our 2way splitter..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Do you mean a co2 tubing quick disconnect so all you do is transfer tubing to another tanks diffuser? If that is what you are looking for, I do have this, its very similar to our 2way splitter..
To put it another way, I would like a quick disconnect so I can disconnect the regulator and needle valve from tubing going to the check valve and diffuser. If you you have this, how much? I would like to buy one now.

I don't think you have one on your website.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts