The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of C02 system would be best for my 55 gallon? I'm not really wanting to get into exotic plants. Just swords, some tiger lotus and some angustifolia hygrophila. I have a 110W Compact Fluorescent and 2 Aquaclear 500s (Water is always topped off). Is there a company that makes a kit? Or can someone tell me what I'll need?

Thanks for your help!!
J-WS6

·
Registered
467 Posts
you probably need more light (par) to have success with angustifolia hygrophila and the tiger lotus.

if you go low light, you don't really need to inject co2 if you balance the nutrients/light properly (includes bioload). if you double/triple your light for those plants you'll need pressurized co2. a 5lbs canister with a selenoid on during the photo period should last you around a year or so. inline diffusion is best but you could go with a glass diffuser in your tank.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
With two AC500s there will be a lot of surface agitation --> outgassing which would make a pressurized setup the only option.

A 10lb tank should cost ~$100 or less, some ppl find local deals where they "lease" it and swap it with full tanks once they are empty.

Then you need a regulator, and for simplicities sake I'd recommend an "All-in-one" solution which includes a needle valve, solenoid and bubble counter, should come out to ~$80. Or you can buy parts separately if you don't need the solenoid and DIY a bubble counter etc.

Of course, like Attack mentioned, with less demanding plants you can do a setup without CO2, slower growth, and less complexity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I too have a 55 gallon and 110watt PC bulbs. How much of our space is occupied by substrate, rocks, etc. I'd imagine we should base our lighting on 45 or 50 gallons, which in that case would give us 2.4-2.2 wpg. Is this considered low light and not needing CO2?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it would be about mid light depending on the light itself.

but any tank will benefit from co2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts