The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I have a question regarding if I am injecting c02 into my tank correctly.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium running a Aqueon 400 canister filter rated 400gph up to 155g.

The output from the canister has a inline reactor running around 3 bubbles per second and then the water is returned to the tank via two "water clarifying units" basically two hang on back filters.

My drop checker turns a dark green from the dark blue it was not too much of a differance in color.

Do you believe some of the c02 is escaping as the water is returned back to the tank via the two outflow hob filters? I thought reactors should difuse around 99% of the c02 so my thoughts led me to believe the c02 saturated water will be pushed deeper inside the tank as the water returns from the two outflow hob units.

Am I correct or am I losing c02 this way? I can always switch to a spray bar that would return the c02 saturated water directly in the tank not creating that surface agitation that the hob units tend to do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys and happy fish keeping :)

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
I would think that some co2 is escaping because of the water surface agitation the hobs filters produce. I use lily pipes, but I will notice that my drop checker is closer to blue when my water line drops and the lily pipe begins to ripple the surface or catch a few bubbles and pulls them down. I'm able to reposition the lily pipe under the waterline by dropping it down, and within an hour, consistently, I will see it fix the problem, the drop checker returns to green. The may not be the exact same experience for you, but it could contribute to it. All that being said, not knowing how many plants you have in your setup, I would agree with Rukoniak that 3bps may be too low for your water volume.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.