The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Are you talking about a drop checker? Did you fill it with the 4 dkH reference solution in addition to the pH indicator solution (bromothymol blue)?

You have to keep the CO2 drop checker in the tank to continue to monitor the CO2 levels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the drop checker :)

I put it in there last night, and checked it this morning. I just wasnt sure how long to leave it in there, or if it were to be done periodically, the instructions didn't mention that part.

Got it from greenaquariums.

·
Registered
199 Posts
you'd keep it in there 24/7. and not sure if you are, but no need for CO2 @ night. u should only run it along w/ your light since plants dont need'em @ night.

got a quick question for others though, how ofter do you change the 4dkH + solution mix?? meaning, how long is that indicator accurate, till u change the solution again... thnx.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you plan to rely on the drop checker color, I suggest changing the solution at least every month, preferably every couple of weeks. No dye is stable enough to rely on for much longer, in my opinion. I do know that some people use the same solution for a lot longer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you plan to rely on the drop checker color, I suggest changing the solution at least every month, preferably every couple of weeks. No dye is stable enough to rely on for much longer, in my opinion. I do know that some people use the same solution for a lot longer.
thnx Hoppy, makes sense.... now I have a better idea! :biggrin:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how to distribute the c02, since it's on a milwaukee ph controller/silonoid.

It comes on when needed, regardless if the lights are needed or not...any ideals?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Well, you can always stop using the controller and place the solenoid on a timer that comes on an hour or so before the lights and shuts off an hour before the lights. There's not much need to inject CO2 at night. Start out at 1 or 2 bps and keep an eye on the fish. Slowly, over a few days, begin increasing the bubble count until the dropchecker is a nice green color and, once again, keep an eye on the fish for signs of stress - gasping at the surface, poor color, inactivity, etc. After a while you'll also learn how to gauge CO2 based on fish behavior, algae, pearling, growth, and the dropchecker will become more of a secondary confirmation of CO2 levels for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.