The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, two quick questions. I have a HOB filter for my 20 gal. I would like to start using a sponge for the filter medium but am unsure as to what type to get. Natural or synthetic? How big? Any brands?

Also, I will soon be starting the DIY C02 that was posted on here. What type of difusor will be good, where can I get one and what should I look for in it? Also, where in the tank should it be placed? I heard by the filter intake?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Some sponges are treated with antibacterial chemicals. Do not - I repeat - DO NOT use them in your aquarium. I've read many a horror story from people who have used store bought sponges to clean algea in the aqaurium. I don't 'spect that using them in you filter would be any better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What about Co2 placement?
My ghetto setup just involved drilling a hole into the intake tube below the water line and sticking the air tubing right in it. The impeller chops it up, and 20-30 bubbles per minute was enough to hit 30ppm CO2 in a 10g. People say the cavitations ruin the motor or something but I never had any issues. It was a Whisper 10. I do get more CO2 into the water via a glass diffuser put under the intake now though.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah I have seen hagen ladders or was it some other type....either way neither of those places will cater much to the planted tank other then some laterite and non-aquatic plants.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Out of curiousity, how does a diffuser work? How does it differ from an airstone?

"What I'm doing is using the ventrui inlet on the flow adjustment on my xp1. and in the spraybar I have filterpad. diffuses pretty well."

Way over my head. Could someone please explain?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Out of curiousity, how does a diffuser work? How does it differ from an airstone?

"What I'm doing is using the ventrui inlet on the flow adjustment on my xp1. and in the spraybar I have filterpad. diffuses pretty well."

Way over my head. Could someone please explain?
A glass diffuser has a diffuser plate that is significantly finer than most airstones. Plus, because the plate is horizontal, the path of the bubble steam is predictable. I tried using an airstone feeding the HOB filter, but various pores would clog up and the stream would start coming out of the other side of the airstone all of the sudden and not go into the filter.

He has a canister filter and is injecting it into the intake (through a venturi) and the output as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.