The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from speedie a couple months ago and it has produced two very different leaves on the same plant. from the top of the plant it is a producing a leaf that is very similar to the ones it came with with the pink veins and in my tank more of a brown color. From the base of the plant though are larger leaves that look alot like the tropica next to it except for they come to a distinct point and have dark hashmarks down them. My question is this. Is it normal for a crypt to produce two distinct leaf types on the same plant or are the ones coming from the center remenents of when it was in speedies tank and they will all eventually change to the larger hashed leaf. I 'm familiar with the leaves being different in various tank conditions I just have never seen two different types of leaves on the same plant.

Some tank specs: This is a 25 gal cube with Aqua soil malaya, I add CO2 and dose fertz and it is under high light with a 150w 8000k HQI 28" above the substrate.

here are some pics (I had been gone for 2 weeks so I had some issues with hair algae while I was gone)

Len

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Sometimes a new leaf will look a little different from a mature leaf and I have a wendtii brown that is in the path of a powerhead and it blew some of the leaves brown side up and they started to grow like that, it's turning green but it had the curl at the stem and everything.

I'm hopefully going to be picking up a C. nurii at an upcomming meeting and will be courious to see the difference between the two plants and be able to know the difference.

I did see the plant in Speedie's thread but failed to ask how the mutation occured? It is very hard to see in your photo although I can see some off the differences in color and markings. Check out this blog for good C. nurii photos http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This pic came from here http://natureye.com/cryptocorynes/cryptocoryne-nurii-central-pahang.html

which is the original crypt in the wild, those leaves look alot more like mine with the ripple on the edge of the leaves and the hash marks

Guess the biggest difference was the original leaves wern't very rippled and the new are and the hash marks are more prevelant, the new leaves I'm seeing are looking alot closer to the original plant.

Len

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I'm no Botanist but maybe the mutation can be pushed out by the original plant gene. At the very least that comment alone should start a fire!

The link I posted was emersed growth but show the leaf detail well.

Nice photos in your link, the plants were a little muddy and looked like they may have been walked on, but O'natural.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I just got one of these plants from one of my fellow SFBAAPS members. Beautiful Crypt !!

In the pic with my Betta, the stems are still curled a bit from shipping. It is straightening out daily.
That SFBAAPS member was me ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Len,

This is all the info I have on the plant you got from me. I got it from Zezmo (APC and SFBAAPS member). Check out his link here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...oryne-nurii-var-pahang-mutated-revisited.html

About the leaf variations, I've noticed lighting/tank conditions play a big role in how all crypts grow. It could be water parameters as well.
Nick

I had read that when I first got the plant and I'm not that confused about the fact that it's changing, I expected that under my lighting, what is getting me is the fact that it is still producing leaves very similar to what it came with, long stems smaller with only slight ripples from the center of the plant (two just opened last week 2 months after introducing) and at the same time it's producing larger heavily rippled with very little stem leaves from the base.

Is this normal while the plant transitions and will it stop producing the leaves on the longer stems or will it continue to produce two types of leaves, I don't have extensive knowledge or experience with crypts but all that I have kept usually lost their old leaves and all new ones were similar. If anyone has had a similar experience I figured it would be an interesting conversation, I'm planning on growing it emerged once some of the daughter plants on the sides of it get larger as well.

I'm about to add:
C keei
C striolata

To the tank and I'm curious about what they will do.

I'm also getting
C noritoi, usteriana and cordata thailand as well in emersed form it will greatly add to my collection.

Thanks for the replys
Len

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering if that was the case wendetti's seem to Not have this growth pattern but my guess it is because they grow so fast, this is my first try at a slower growing crypt and it's a learning experience. If anything I'll have a good photo record of the effects of high light on a C Nurii pahang mutated, lol....

I have a w tropica growing in both high light and low light (under the java fern) in the same tank and you would swear they are different plants, I've been a terrestrial plant guy more lately than aquatic but the variation really makes aquatics more fun.

Len

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
There were some nice links with good reading, so the plants are just from different location and look different, I wondering if the name will change. They are both beautiful plants and the original plants had quite a bit of melting and holes even after a bit of time had passed, have you guys found them to be delicate or melt easily.

I think I might be getting some C nurii at the GWAPA metting if I'm lucky, this will be my first meet but one of the members has grown this plant by tissue culture as I've been reading the blog in anticipation. They are both beautiful and now I need some of each, the flowers on the emersed plants in the jungle are just insane in size and look great.

I just poke a hole and plant but here's a link to anyone interested in the tissue culture http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.