The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some confusing and seemingly conflicting material on whether "Tonkinensis" and "Kubotae" are the same, different, or one is the former "flaccidifolia", etc., I believe I am satisfied (having now read through the Crypts Pages) that C. crispatula var. tonkinensis is the former C. crispatula var. flaccidifolia, and that C. crispatula var. kubotae is the very-thin-leaved grass-like crypt that some shops are selling as "Tonkinensis".

Here's my question: does anyone know if the "Tonkinensis" sold by GLA (tissue culture) is actually "Kubotae"? Has anyone tried it and grown it out? I purchased some to test it, and I did send an email to the folks at GLA for additional information, but have not heard back from anyone.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are you looking for a correct identification or are you searching for one of these varieties in particular? I would not be surprised if all the tissue culture plants sold as "Tonkinensis" are all clones no matter the brand on the cup, but getting a definite ID would really mean flowering the plant, since just using vegetable features is difficult and they sound like they have a lot of similarities to each other and a fair amount of morphological variation within each variety.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ElleDee, thanks for the response. Yes, I am wanting a positive ID on the tissue-culture plant that GLA is selling as "Tonkinensis". I don't have an emersed set-up by which to flower it. I am hoping someone else has tried this specific plant and ID'd it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmm, that is a pretty specialized question. I'm not sure I would trust a retailer to have the exact correct information, and honestly I wouldn't fault them on it either - it's not really their wheelhouse. GLA may be able to give you some information, but there's no way they've flowered it and taken the time to confirm the ID. I'd be surprised if they did their own tissue culture in house.

You might try emailing Niels Jacobsen, the authority who named that taxa. There's an email for him on this paper establishing var. tonkinensis. He also coauthored an article for The Aquatic Gardener about the two species that might help, but I don't have an AGA membership, so I can't access it. He might know the answer, or at least have the best guess about which it would be more likely to be.

You have to report back if you find anything out!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not an AGA member either, but to be able to read that article, I may consider it. :unsure:
I'll read the other paper and see what I can decipher, and then see if I can conjure up a good email to send Mr. Jacobsen. And I'll keep you posted on what happens.
I also MIGHT consider attempting to grown out a bit of it emersed...but I'm really not set up for that and know LITTLE about the best conditions to bloom Crypts.
Thank you for the great resources!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
There should be another publication establishing var. kubotae as well, but I did not find it in my casual search. (It definitely exists because it's required for the name to be valid.) That also might be useful.

In my experience, nothing can beat getting some expert help with identification. When you're just reading a description it's easy to get lost in the weeds, especially when there can be so much variation between individuals and the specialized vocabulary can get out of control, but an expert can really cut to the key feature/s to look for. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.