The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three Eriocaulon australia type 2 that have decided to flower. At first I thought this looked neat until the leaves started dying. I probably should have cut the flower stems off before they grew this much but I thought well in nature there's no one to do this so they'll probably form new plants. This doesn't appear to be happening and now I'm worried I will lose all of them and have no babies to replace them. Any ideas on what I should do or is it too late?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Try chopping them into little pieces and then replanting the pieces. Search for Eriocaulon propagation threads.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try chopping them into little pieces and then replanting the pieces. Search for Eriocaulon propagation threads.
Chopped them in half and replanted them, flowers are gone and now so are the plants. I think I'm going to give up on eriocaulons. I can grow them up until they flower then they die. Seems like a waste considering how expensive they are.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are interested in growing erios, two erios that might be good to start with are Erio Cinereum and Erio Parkeri. They are both easy to grow, and are both very prolific. Wheezo is selling Erio Parkeri for $12 each.

When these plants throw up flowering stalks, I have been removing the stalks, and haven't had any troubles with plants dying. To propagate them I have waited until the plants get bushy, or new side plants form, then I have been dividing them -- usually about 1x per month.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Better yet if you really want to enjoy the sp. then select the plants that does not flower - or rarely (Grosso):) Some of them are more difficult to grow, but if you make them happy they'll keep you happy. They are many more, but most of these can be found here from time to time.

To name a few:

Goais
Erio Australia 1 & II
Erio Australia Large
Amanoanum
Mini Taco
Mato Grosso
By the way I just noticed you are saying you have Au Type II flowering. I've had this specie for minute (both direct from AU) and it never flowered (maybe I lucked out). You possibly were sold something else under that name. Its easy to get them mixed up and at this stage I can't tell what it 'possibly' really is.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to get some matto grosso again. I had several of these growing in my first tank and ran into some filter problems which ended up wiping just about all my flora and some of my fauna out. I have been unable to find any matto grosso for quite awhile now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd love to get some matto grosso again. I had several of these growing in my first tank and ran into some filter problems which ended up wiping just about all my flora and some of my fauna out. I have been unable to find any matto grosso for quite awhile now.
Beautiful when grown well and def one of the more pickier sp and why its sale is rare here. Requires stable conditions and not as forgiving as the Au, Cin, Thailand (mrkookm sig), Goais....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts