The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so frustrated, everything has been doing fine and dandy for the last month or so. Shrimp all grew up just fine. molted fine. fiesty eaters. but I take my eyes of the tank for 2 days and come back to 5 dead shrimp. The dead shrimp are red/very opaque milky white in color. Am I dealing with a bacterial infection here? I honestly didn't even know there was such a thing because I thought all dead shrimp turned white...

So today i decided to net out what shrimp were left, there was one of them that had a opaque body so i put him in a separate cup. The others I put in a different cup. Some of the dying shrimp seem to be paralyzed? on their backs, twitching, etc. I doubt the deaths are massive die off kind, more along the lines of 2 die each day. I wasn't there for the last two days so i wouldn't know.

what do i do?
I measured my params yesterday:
kh:2 (kinda weird since when i measure this last month it was 7...) will retest
gh: 6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
didn't measure nitrate and phosphate: shouldn't be a problem though, I don't dose ferts and I do wc's every week. 3 gallons every week and it's a 20 gallon tank.

things i can think of that I did recently enough to make a difference:
-I added oak leaves from 2-3 years ago (they've been in my college since) and there were some black spots on the leaves? I microwaved the leaves and theyve been in the tank for a couple weeks maybe they finally started to release some toxins?
-Added bamboo charcoal houses last week with mini pellia that'd been growing emersed attached (mp had a touch of fungus but it shouldn't survive underwater... perhaps dying fungus released toxin?)
-put in 2 dwarf nymphaea lily bulbs (the ones from walmart) didn't wash them before hand


any thoughts? This is really putting me in a bad mood how things go so well and they things turn south so fast... If it's a bacterial infection I know people recommend maracyn 2, I have maracyn 1 will that work? If you think it's toxins if i do massive water changes and remove the offender will the tank be safe again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I just washed it off. Didn't think I would need to.
The leaves weren't in boiling water, I just broke off a little chunk and put it in a bowl with some water and microwaved it for a minute.
ph should be somewhere 7-8

I siphon out 3 gallons and put in 3 gallons of water. I don't drip it in or anything because I figured if my whole tank of supreme reds can handle it so can they. I have purigen in the tank already, I'll do a large water change and take out the random stuff.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top