The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so recently the fluorescent light I have for my 20L has started buzzing much louder than it did before. I've only been using it for about a month, about 9hours a day set on a timer. It's a Marineland F18t8 natural daylight bulb.

Anyone experienced this? Were you able to remedy it?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Buzzing lights were usually related to the older, magnetic ballasts used before electronic ballasts took over. If you had it only for a month, can you contact the vendor for an exchange, or return? If the unit is running with a magnetic ballast, perhaps get one with a non-buzzing electronic ballast?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buzzing lights were usually related to the older, magnetic ballasts used before electronic ballasts took over. If you had it only for a month, can you contact the vendor for an exchange, or return? If the unit is running with a magnetic ballast, perhaps get one with a non-buzzing electronic ballast?
How do I tell what type of ballast it is?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
The best way would be to open the fixture and look at the label... then google the model.

Generally, magnetic ballasts are heavier than their electronic counterparts. Not very useful if you have nothing to compare against though.

Also, magnetic fixtures use a starter, which is a little white plastic cylinder that is clicked into the fixture.

Also, most magnetic fixtures flicker on and off a couple of times when you turn them on.

Also, when you look somewhere close to a bulb driven by a magnetic fixture (not directly into the bulb) you will see it flicker, about 60 times per second. Electronic ballasts use frequencies of several thousand hertz, so bulbs don't flicker or buzz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.