The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my friend wants to buy my 38 off me and i am considering a used 55 gallon that comes with Corallife Aqualight (4x65W), Eco Complete, plants, etc, etc. They said the tank has been up for four years. My question is, if i bought this tank, would i need to sterilize it? I dont know the history of the tank but if they said it has never had a disease history or something of that nature should i still disinfectant? What about the eco-complete? Is it still usable after 4 years?

Also with 260W on a 55 gallon im a little concerned about algae. I think this would force me to buy pressurized CO2.

They are selling this tank for 250 with a ton of stuff with it

What would you do about the tank?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would see what condition it appears to be in now. If it looks bad or has signs of disease then you should probably disinfect it, if everything looks healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

I would also think that 260W over a 55 is too much light, however if it's working in the current setup and plant growth is fine/no algae, then you may stick with it. Perhaps the lights are old and have lost some of their intensity.

The eco ecomplete should still be usable as a substrate, but I doubt it has much nutrients left, I guess it depends on how many plants there are and how deep it is.

Ask the current owner if they/what they are dosing.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am asking because i want to see if it is even worth buying the tank. If i have to replace the Eco-complete then it might behoove me to buy the tank and lights separately. However, i guess i would have to see the tank

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
260 watts over a 55-gallon is a huge amount of light. Is it possible to control the lamps in that fixture independently? Will it still run if you remove one or more lamps?

I don't think that I'd worry too much about disease, although if you want to re-use the Eco Compleat it might be wise to let the tank run for a while fishless to give disease organisms a chance to die off.

If you wish to disinfect all of the hardware I have found plain white vinegar to be a good option. It should kill just about everything, but it is cheap and safer to use than bleach. It will also take off hard water deposits while disinfecting.

Cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts