The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning to buy an LCD Monitor for my PC, my budget is $240 so any one know whats the best??? for this budget?

also whats the best, widescreen or just the regular 19" screen

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also whats the best, widescreen or just the regular 19" screen

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dell... 19 inch Ultrasharp model.... I have, my friend has, my mother has.... not one dead pixel.. and you'll be amazed how beautiful. I build computer rigs quite often but for quality and a nice price can't beat the Dells imo. The 19" Ultrasharp is normally $309 but they put them on sale ALL THE TIME. Just wait it out here and there keep checkin the site it WILL be on sale. I got mine for $230, normally 309. Comes with detachable cables... both DVI and Analog. Adjustable height, it spins left to right and it also rotates vertically. Hope this helps, gl with whatever you choose to get.

Matt

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't buy LG. They have piss-poor customer service. I bought an LG monitor that died within 5 hours; it was under warranty, so I got a replacement. However, they replaced my new monitor with a 2 yr warranty with a refurbished monitor with a 90 day warranty, and insisted on having my credit card number. It took an hour of arguing on the phone to convince them that this was not acceptable, and then they wanted me to send back BOTH monitors before they would ship a replacement. I had to resort to making threats and giving them a credit card number AGAIN to get another monitor (a new, working monitor, like I should have gotten the first time, not the third.) The viewing angle is also nowhere near what they advertised; sure, you can see the monitor in a 178 degree cone, but you certainly can't see the *picture* with any reasonable color quality more than 10 degrees off center. I did not get a monitor worth what I paid.

I told their tech support that I'd be informing the internet about LG's antics. Now I am, so don't buy from LG.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have a Sony LCD 17" and it's been beat on badly. Weeks on end without being turned off or with a screen saver. I think at one time it wasn't shut off for over four months straight. About 2 years old and only one (or so) dead pixel(s) but that happened a month after we bought the thing.

Really can't complain on Sony LCD's from my experience.

Oh yeah, go widescreen!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I own a couple of Dell ultrasharps. The 20 inch (~$200 more) is totally popping. The 19 is fine/great, but isn't DVI capable, I think. I have heard some of the Viewsonics are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what is DVI? and whats the MS?

·
Registered
517 Posts
dvi is digital video input or something like that. its "faster" than analog and sharper and what not and all that blah blahs, digital vs analog in the end. any good video card will have a dvi out. and with lcd you don't have to worry about burn-in so leaving it on forever wouldn't ruin the screen, just shortens the lifespan of course. i skipped the whole flat panel monitor idea and went straight to a flat panel tv. but if i were to get one i'd get a widescreen dell.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I highly suggest a 20" Widescreen such as a Sceptre or a Dell. I have the Sceptre and I love it!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112006

Or a 22" (better for people with difficulty reading normal text)

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=2019487&enterthread=y

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112005

All 20" monitors have MUCH more screen real estate (more pixels) than 19"ers. I went from a 19" to my current 20" widescreen and the difference is night and day. It has 33% more pixels in width! (1280x1024 vs 1680x1050)

22" monitors have the same number of pixels as a 20", but each pixel is a little larger which makes the overall screen size bigger.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd go with that samsung, good brand.

I have heard some of the Viewsonics are pretty good.
I've got a 19" widescreen VS. When I read the reviews on Newegg there was some complaints of the backlighting showing through. I thought "ahh, I'll never notice". NOW, when I watch any movie/show with a dark scene it bugs the HELL outta me. [/rant]

Conclusion: I love the widescreen, it's really great. But i'd go with a samsung or dell over a viewsonic. And of course, bigger the better :)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
save up a little more and get this 22" with HDMI input
that way you can display HDTVi output on this unit.
< $300 after rebates
if you don't like the pedestal, you can always replace it
with any standard VESA mount stand, arm, or bracket.
I'm waiting for the 24" model from Sceptre to come out
which has a more standard square maximum resolution.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your best bet is getting the samsung. Their LCD tech is pretty solid.
Sceptre brand is kinda generic. Just remember when what you're getting costs half as much as the other screens in its class theres a reason. Its cheap.
I personally wouldn't pay full price for a scepter. And wouldn't get one without having the chance to look at one in person. The samsung you can do that without worry.

Don't buy LG. They have piss-poor customer service. I bought an LG monitor that died within 5 hours; it was under warranty, so I got a replacement. However, they replaced my new monitor with a 2 yr warranty with a refurbished monitor with a 90 day warranty, and insisted on having my credit card number. It took an hour of arguing on the phone to convince them that this was not acceptable, and then they wanted me to send back BOTH monitors before they would ship a replacement. I had to resort to making threats and giving them a credit card number AGAIN to get another monitor (a new, working monitor, like I should have gotten the first time, not the third.) The viewing angle is also nowhere near what they advertised; sure, you can see the monitor in a 178 degree cone, but you certainly can't see the *picture* with any reasonable color quality more than 10 degrees off center. I did not get a monitor worth what I paid.

I told their tech support that I'd be informing the internet about LG's antics. Now I am, so don't buy from LG.
Why didn't you just return it to the store you bought it?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Black, brand hardly matters with LCD screens.
all LCD screens are made by the same two manufactures.
the difference in brand are the beeps and whistles they put
around the case, and the quality of their warranty.
Sceptre is not some cheap generic brand.
the entire industry just hates them for pushing
their prices below what others want to charge.
Ever since Sceptre announced they were doing an
HDMI 24" under $500, all other LCD prices have fallen.
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x24wg_Naga.htm
they skimp on stands because their plastic screen boarder
is so thin most replace that stand with VESA arms and/or
link two or more screens together. that's what makes these
Sceptre's so popular on Wall street and dance club video walls.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If you want to do mainly computer stuff, I would NOT go with a widescreen model. Yeah it looks cool, but doesn't lend itself easily for day to day stuff (reading documents, web pages, spreadsheets, etc).

The reason why you are seeing so many widescreen models (incl notebooks) is that they are cheaper to manufacture. If you do the math, you will see that a 19" regular screen has quite a bit more pixels than a 19" widescreen.

If you want to use it as an HDTV to watch movies and such, by all means go with a widescreen.

I bought a 20" 1600x1200 Samsung (204B) a while back from CC for about $220 after many rebates, price matches and convincing of sales reps. Very happy with it, lots of screen estate.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I bought a Samsung 19" regular screen 4 years ago and I have no complaints. I'd buy one of their's the next time around. If I did get a WXGA though, it would have to be at least the 22 inch model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.