The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 46g Bowfront with pine stand on my local reef tank forum that is only $50. The only problem with it is the seller says it has a slow leak in one of the corners. Would this just require a removal of the silicone in that area, some masking, and 100% silicone? Dunno if it is too good to be true but it is everything I need. It has a 36" footprint for my living room, pine stand that can be stained, and is CHEAP! The only other thing I would have to do would be to paint the oak tank trim black. The best thing for that is Krylon plastic right?

-Blake

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
If you have a lot of time and patience on your hands, it may be worth it, but I would pass on it.

Where is the leak? Is it in one of the corners, or is it between the side pane and the front (bowed) pane? This would be a lot harder to fix.

Regardless, however to be on the safe side, to fix the leak, you would have to scrape all the silicone off (long and arduous process) and then resilicone the whole tank. You will not be able to remove the silicone in that area and patch it up, as silicone does not adhere to itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy said it was in the front left corner. Would I have to just take off all the silicone on that corner, or all of the inside? Either way I think it is worth it, because I am good with a caulk gun (Just bought a house and have A LOT of practice). I don't have to redo the stuff between the glass right? That would be a PAIN!

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Having the leak in the front left corner will be a pain, since it is between the side pane and the front (bow) pane.

You would have to take all the silicone off. Not just the corner, and not just the inside of that side, but all the silicone off. This includes all the silicone between the glass.

The sticky at the top of this section talks about how to big a tank. Re-siliconing a tank is a similar process.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/27814-building-75g-all-glass-tank.html

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
The leak is occurring because the silicone between the two panes of glass is not good. To fix it, you will need to remove the two pieces of glass. To do this, you will have to unsilicone the whole tank...

This is why resealing a tank is laborious...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy selling it mentioned he had a guy that reseals tanks, but he didn't have him do this tank because he no longer wants it. What would be a reasonable price for resealing a tank this size?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have resiliconed several tanks (never a bowfront) but its not hard at all imo. most of my tanks had leaks and i got at little to no money and resealed them and they are up and running right now. if i had the chance at a 46 bowfront tank and stand for 50 bucks i would jump on it. but thats just me. i love fixing things. wish it was closer i would snatch it up. well gl

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have resiliconed several tanks (never a bowfront) but its not hard at all imo. most of my tanks had leaks and i got at little to no money and resealed them and they are up and running right now. if i had the chance at a 46 bowfront tank and stand for 50 bucks i would jump on it. but thats just me. i love fixing things. wish it was closer i would snatch it up. well gl
That is pretty much how I feel. I am not afraid of DIY and have lots of experience with the caulk gun since I just bought a house that needed some fixing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts