The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a choice of a Penn plax 1000 cascade. A marineland c220. An eheim 2128, a finnex px360. Or lastly a fluval 405

I have a moderately planted 75g but I plan to go all out with my plants. I have plenty of light and I need something that will easily incorporate my co2 setup. Any input?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615616,-88.302809

·
Registered
952 Posts
Eheim is the best. This is because they last forever. I also say this because you are able to put whatever media you would like into it vs. some other canisters make it so only their products will fit inside.

On top of what born2lovefish said, a customer just brought in an eheim that she bought 10 years ago, which has been constantly running, and finally needed to replace the O ring. Thats pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yea all fine and good but.... check out topdogsellers on e-bay. If you put this number into google you'll find it: 300587878853

You won't do better for the $ and the new version 2 is solid.

Do a search on the CFS 500 here and the other forum, and you'll see...

Good luck. Eheims are great, but for $300? Psssht... You won't get a better filter. You could replace the CFS500 almost 5 times for that...Not that you'll have to replace it once...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I'm loving my xp2 on my 55. I've had several different brands of canisters. Currently I have a Fluval 205 and I had no issues so far (2 years), 2 'ebay' eheim filters (same as the eheim 2028, i believe) 70$ shipped and they are strong and aren't too bad to handle. and the rena xp2 and these things move some water, would buy it again..

dont let the post about "you can only buy their certain media" convince you... that's so far beyond not true. I cut all my own filter pads by buying a bulk roll of media from big als or a local store for way cheaper. There's really no need for carbon in a planted tank if your doing waterchanges every couple weeks. And I've been using lava rock as my bio-media for about 6 months now with no ill effects. The only thing I'd suggest is to use a good polishing filter pad and your water will be really nice if you don't overstock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been using a Marineland C360 on my 58 gallon planted community tank and I couldn't be happier. I like the media trays and it was easy to setup and prime. I really like the black input and output.

I found mine on Amazon for $130. Considering it comes with all the media you need, I think it compares decently with the Odyssea.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I can get an oddysea 700gph for 80 bucks with media. But it way too much for my 75g

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had a Rena XP4 with Cal Aqua Labs Inflow and ADA Outflow on my 65g a few years ago. It had good enough flow to see the CO2 bubbles from the glass diffuser located across the tank getting circulated all over.
Only thing I didn't like with it was the random spewing of bubbles at night when the pearling is very heavy. Could be all the O2 from the plants getting stuck in the filter, could be my installation somewhere not tight enough and causing air to get sucked in, or could be a limitation in the amount of water than can be sucked in the slits of my inflow. Never got around to figuring out which.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have owned sunsuns, odyssea cfs, eheims, and mag 350's, as well as various sumps.

I won't buy another odyssea. It is just too brittle. I wrote the review here praised it from the start. I broke a lid last night and I'm moving on.

The sunsuns are great. I am looking for a new one, or two for my 75.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Check out aquatop. you can buy directly from them at truaqua.com I own one of the cf500 uv systems and love it! they have several units canister and hob also the canisters also have removable trays to pack with whatever you want. i believe someone said they are subdivision of sun sun or something. here is a link to the review I did up on one of the canisters.

http://nwaas.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2236

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.