The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every have this happen? Buy a fish or a plant and get it home and regret it?

I purchased two kribensis Thursday night at my LFS. They had been in their tanks for about 4 months and I always thought they were pretty. They didnt have anywhere to hide in the LFS tank and were surrounded by Mollies. So they seemed to have pretty cool personalities--they would come up to the glass and hang out, didnt matter how many people were watching.

Well----I get the home--they immediately went into hiding--one in one cave and one in another--and I havent really seen them since.

I know that is pretty much normal behavior-but I feel like I purchased some duds. They dont know that I got them so I could look at them--but it kinda sucks having fish you never see.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
try not feeding them regularly, just drop one pellet in every time you walk past the tank... this way they will start to associate people with food... and you will see them more... you can actually train your fish...

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I recently got some emperor tetras and they have been terrorizing my cardinals and rummynose. Both groups of fish were huddled in one corner of the tank near the bottom. Anytime any dared to venture out, the emperors would chase them back into the corner. I finally got tired of it and took the emperors out. Now the cardinals and rummynose are happily swimming all over the tank.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently got some emperor tetras and they have been terrorizing my cardinals and rummynose. Both groups of fish were huddled in one corner of the tank near the bottom. Anytime any dared to venture out, the emperors would chase them back into the corner. I finally got tired of it and took the emperors out. Now the cardinals and rummynose are happily swimming all over the tank.
Yeah, but you are a Gator fan--how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously?? :icon_eek::hihi:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I got some loaches I wasn't happy with after a few days. I returned them. The guy at Petco said he never saw anyone return live fish but their policy didn't say they had to be dead so he refunded me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a pair of kribs from the LFS store recently, and put them in my 33gal planted tank. Less than a week later I had krib fry. They are currently in the yolk-sac wiggler phase and should be coming out into the world soon.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yeah, but you are a Gator fan--how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously?? :icon_eek::hihi:
SCORE!! Go Noles! [/end threadjack]

I think the Kribs will be out and about more after they've had time to settle in.

On the other hand- how sure are you that you got a M/F pair? If you ended up with both the same sex, you may have WWIII on your hands if they do decide to come out...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im honestly not sure of the sex. The LFS couldnt tell me for sure. Im fairly certain I have one of each though. One is very plain looking while the other is more 'ornamental'.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ornamental ones tend to be the females. The best way to tell is the shape of the caudal fin (tail). It ends in a point on the males (spade-like), and is rounded in the females. Females also tend to develop more color in the belly region when they are getting ready to spawn, but that is not the only indicator. Mine is guarding her fry right now and all the color is gone from her belly and she has a very dark line running down her lateral line. She's on a mission to keep her babies out of the vicious mouths of tetras.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Actually, that may not be a good sign.

If the fish were compatible with each other, they're more likely to both color up.

If one is brightly colored and the other one very pale, there's a good chance that one has clearly established dominance over the other.

Just keep a close eye on them for aggression. There's not much room to get away if one should start attacking the other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.