The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen this yet? Petco now offers fish (aquatic life) via online! http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_livefish_Nav_422.aspx

WOW! Now I can get the same quality fish that they have in their stores, shipped staight to my home! :icon_roll and again :rolleyes:

Ok, I don't know about you guys, but the Petco's I've visited, their fish were horrible. I know that there are some decent Petcos out there, but not here where I'm at. I definitely know that it has alot to do with how the store itself is housing and maintaining their aquatic creatures, but then just looking at the quality of the fish itself is also a problem. Sure they show the nice, pretty pictures of the fish you can order, but how many of those true beauties have you seen at a Petco store?

:alien: Uh huh....you know they might have something to do with it. (speaking about the aliens) LOL They got tired of dealing with cows and drunken hillbillies, so they have come after our great selection of aquatic creatures. Bastards sticking us with their genetic mutations and self-euthanasing creations that drop like flies after the 15 day gaurantee policy ends. :angryfire

Call me paranoid, but I think something is going on here. What do you think? :alien: :icon_twis :alien:

:hihi:

·
Registered
862 Posts
It might be a better option than the stores. The fish you mail order haven't been sitting in a Petco store tank. I think I will steer off for now though. Of course if you buy fish from Petco online you will miss out on the expert advice you get when you go in your local Petco...

·
Registered
200 Posts
OMG I am so excited! I can finnaly start an ich farm and not have to leave my house to do so!

The PetCo arround here are all disgusting. My favourite tanks are the "plants for the aquarium" its a nice selection of brown water and decaying plants sold as aquatics but really are bog or terrestrial. Once i did see some cool dwarf crays and some nice breeding populations of apple snails in one of these decay ponds. There even were a few molts from the crayfish. So maybe they decay them on purpose... BTW i think their mission statement fits them to a T, you read it :p

Maybe the online fish are kept in the super giant PetCo warehouse so they were not exposed that much to many vacations to outlets or much time in store tanks. Who knows, this needs more research.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warning Jen :) But I can easily back up the statement I made about the one Petco near me and the conditions of their tanks/inhabitants. As I stated above, I did not say all the Petco stores, as I know there are some very nice professionally run operations. As far as the quality of fish they receive (in this particular store in question), ditto. Platys, guppies, swordtails, tetras, etc. with clear signs of malformaties. So if they want to sue me, let them. I'd love to bring this into full light of the publics eye on the conditions these poor creatures have to endure.

Added Note: I of course want to it known that these are my statements alone. TPT should not be held responsible for what I say about Petco. So if any MOD sees fit to remove/edit this thread, please do so. I would not want TPT held liable for my actions.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just a quick note: This IS a public forum, and while you're free to state your opinions all day long, PetCo is also free to sue for libel if they see fit. SO. Just be careful... :)
They cannot sue for libel for any comments made on an internet forum unless someone on here states an outright lie as truth in order to intentionally hurt Petco. Opinions are different. If someone were to say "I bought from them and received a bag of dog poop" then they can sue saying that they are telling a lie in order to hurt their business. You cannot sue for saying "I dislike their store and their online store is therefore not a place I will buy from." Misleading statements and opinions are totally different.

Libel: telling lies as truth in with the sole intent to defame a person or organization.

However it is important that we don't make up "scenarios" or "exaggerations" that one may expect to see in a petco store if we have not seen them ourselves. That is libel....

-Ryan

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
PetCo is also free to sue for libel if they see fit. SO. Just be careful... :)
Not sure they would have a leg to stand on.

li·bel (lī'bəl) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
2. The act of presenting such material to the public.
2. The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.

Especially considering that the statements are opinion based on personal experience. Hard to prove libel.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm actually speaking from experience guys. Several members of my local club got in trouble for that. There was a thread complaining about a vendor, and all Johnathan said was essentially "Yeah, me too". The company sued for a RIDICULOUS amount of money, even for that little comment. Luckily John already had a lawyer, but it still took forever to get it thrown out (which, like you said, of course it would be). Maybe they won't win, maybe they have no leg to stand on, but I'm just warning you of the huge hassle that will come about if they actually decide to sue, it is a PAIN!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I suspect they are trying to compete with liveaquaria. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I suspect they are trying to compete with liveaquaria. Good luck with that!
Next thing is there will be PETCO catalogs FULL color!! (Blk and white) for free delivered to your door!!!

Seriously though, Who would order from petco online when there is liveaquaria and then after that other hobbyists!

Help?!!?

-Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts